Jean Sprackland (born 1962) is an English poet and writer, the author of three collections of poetry and a book of essays about landscape and nature.
Originally from Burton upon Trent, Jean Sprackland studied English and Philosophy at the University of Kent at Canterbury, then taught for a few years before beginning to write poetry at age 30. She is Reader in Poetry at Manchester Metropolitan University, and a Trustee of the Poetry Archive.
- Tattoos for Mothers Day (Spike, 1997)
- Hard Water (Cape, 2003)
- Ellipsis: Vol. I (with Sean O'Brien and Tim Cooke; Comma Press, 2005)
- Our Thoughts are Bees: Working with Writers and Schools (with Mandy Coe; Wordplay Press, 2005)
- Tilt (Cape, 2007)
- Strands: A Year of Discoveries on the Beach (Cape, 2012)
- Sleeping Keys (Random House, 2013)
Awards and honors
- 1998: Forward Poetry Prize (Best First Collection) shortlist, Tattoos for Mothers Day
- 2003: T. S. Eliot Prize shortlist, Hard Water
- 2003: Whitbread Poetry Award shortlist, Hard Water
- 2004: Next Generation poet
- 2007: Costa Poetry Award, Tilt
- 2007: Forward Poetry Prize (Best Single Poem) shortlist, "The Birkdale Nightingale"
- 2012: Portico Prize for Literature (Non-fiction), Strands: A Year of Discoveries on the Beach 
- "Classic poets' voices go online". BBC. 2005-11-30.
- "Jean Sprackland's workshop". Guardian Unlimited. 2008-01-14.
Her first collection, Tattoos for Mothers Day, was shortlisted for the Forward prize for best first collection, her second, Hard Water, was shortlisted for both the TS Eliot prize and the Whitbread award for poetry.... She was chosen as one of the Poetry Book Society's Next Generation poets in 2004.
- "US poet heads prize shortlist". BBC. 2003-10-20.
American Poet Laureate Billy Collins is among those shortlisted for the TS Eliot Poetry Prize 2003.... Others on the list include Don Paterson ... Jean Sprackland and Lavinia Greenlaw.
- "Poet is pipped to Whitbread award -but she still feels like a winner". Daily Post (Liverpool, England). 2004-01-07.
Jean was among twenty five writers shortlisted for the 2003 Whitbread Prize, for her second collection of poems, Hard Water.
- "Writer wins national book award". BBC. 2008-01-03.
- "Activist on list for poetry prize". BBC. 2007-07-17.
- "Hall and Sprackland win Portico Prize". The Bookseller. 2012-11-23.