Goodby at South by Southwest 2017
Jeff Goodby is an American advertising executive. He is among the co-founders and serves as co-chair of Goodby, Silverstein & Partners in San Francisco. Goodby is also a director and illustrator whose work has appeared in Time and Mother Jones.
Jeff Goodby grew up in Rhode Island. He graduated from Harvard University where he wrote for The Harvard Lampoon. Goodby became interested in advertising after not being able to find work in publishing. Goodby fashioned a resume in the likes of a mock encyclopedia entry on himself – written posthumously. That landed him his first advertising job at J. Walter Thompson where he met mentor Hal Riney of Ogilvy & Mather.
Goodby, Silverstein & Partners has on multiple occasions won Agency of the Year in Advertising Age Adweek and Creativity Magazine. The Museum of Modern Art has placed several of the company's ads into permanent rotation, including among others “got milk?” and the Budweiser Lizards
Goodby served as the president of the Cannes Advertising Festival, head judge of the Titanium Jury and chaired judging the ANDYS. In 2006, Goodby was inducted into the Advertising Hall of Fame. Jeff Goodby and his fellow co-chairman Rich Silverstein were also highlighted in the 2009 documentary, “Art & Copy.” In 2010, Adweek named him, along with Rich Silverstein, Executives of the Decade.
- "How I Did It: Jeff Goodby, Leading Your Company Article - Inc. Article". Inc.com. 2004-07-01. Retrieved 2011-08-13.
- "CLIO Awards". CLIO Awards. Retrieved 2011-08-13.
- Cuneo, Alice Z. (2008-01-21). "From Goodby to Great: How Shop Built a 'Content House' | Print Edition - Advertising Age". Adage.com. Retrieved 2011-08-13.
- Parpis, Eleftheria. "2007 U.S. AOY: Goodby, Silverstein & Partners". Adweek. Retrieved 2011-08-13.
- "AGENCY OF THE YEAR: Goodby, Silverstein & Partners - The Editors Of Creativity - From Creativity". Creativity Online. 2003-12-08. Retrieved 2011-08-13.
- "News". SourceEcreative. Retrieved 2011-08-13.
- "Media Trends - The Annual Budget Ritual". Mediawareonline.com. 2002-01-22. Retrieved 2011-08-13.
- "Full-service interactive, digital advertising agency". R/GA. Retrieved 2011-08-13.
- "Home - ANDY Awards". ANDY Awards.
- "Jeff Goodby And Rich Silverstein". Archived from the original on December 28, 2010. Retrieved January 18, 2011.
- "Art & Copy Film / Subject Bios". Artandcopyfilm.com. Retrieved 2011-08-13.
- "AdweekMedia: Best of the 2000s - Agency Executives of the Decade". Best of the 2000s. Archived from the original on 2011-09-10. Retrieved 2011-08-13.
- "Audubon Society flying high - Crain's New York Business". 2 April 2017.