Jeff Jones (musician)
|Birth name||Jeffrey Robin Jones|
|Born||September 20, 1953|
Chicago, Illinois, U.S.
|Origin||London, Ontario, Canada|
|Labels||Roar Records Canada|
Jones performed with Alex Lifeson and John Rutsey in the first incarnation of Rush, serving as the primary singer and bassist in the summer of 1968. He was replaced by Geddy Lee in September 1968 before their second performance, after wanting to go to a party. He first gained fame as a member of the gospel rock band Ocean, which had a million-selling 1971 single "Put Your Hand in the Hand". The group disbanded in 1975. Jones later joined Red Rider (he performed bass on the song "Lunatic Fringe") and still performs with leader Tom Cochrane. He also works on videos showing Eastwood basses.
In the late 1970s, Jones played bass and sang in Stingaree, a Toronto-based band featuring Brian MacLeod and Bernie LaBarge on guitars and vocals, Doug (Skip) Layton on drums, and Larry Hamel (replaced by Don Harriss) on vocals and piano. The band had a large following in Ontario. Brian MacLeod was spotted by promoter Martin Onrot while Stingaree was playing in Toronto and left the band to join Chilliwack. The remaining members of Stingaree played for another six months before disbanding in 1978. Jones also played bass on the 1981 hit "Dream Away" by LaBarge.
Jones is a regular member of Toronto band The Carpet Frogs, who also serve as The Burton Cummings band. He also continues to tour with Tom Cochrane.
In June 2018, Jeff Jones, along with the group Roar, released the single "Naked in the Church" on Roar Records. Chris Crerar completed the mastering on this project while it was produced by Kevin Dietz at the Metalworks Studios in Toronto.
- "How to Play Limelight by RUSH on Guitar". YouTube. Archived from the original on August 29, 2018. Retrieved May 25, 2018.
- "Rush is a Band Blog: 50th anniversary of Rush's first show". www.rushisaband.com. Retrieved April 18, 2019.
- Banasiewicz, Bill. "Rush Visions: The Official Biography (excerpt)". Archived from the original on October 11, 2007. Retrieved March 10, 2007.
- "Ocean – Put Your Hand in the Hand CD Album Canada". Cduniverse.com. July 26, 2005. Retrieved August 25, 2015.
- Bowling, David (August 31, 2012). "Put Your Hand in the Hand '45' by Ocean". Muskmellon. Retrieved August 31, 2012.
- "New single "Naked in the Church" – Roar Group of Companies | Publishing – Media – Records".