Jeff Kosseff is a cybersecurity law professor at the United States Naval Academy.  He is a lawyer who previously practiced media, cybersecurity, and privacy law at Covington & Burling LLP and a former journalist. Before becoming an attorney, he was a Washington, D.C. reporter for The Oregonian, a major newspaper based in Portland, Oregon, and was a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize and recipient of the George Polk Award.
He lives with his wife and daughter in the Washington area.
Kosseff teaches, researches, and writes about cybersecurity law at the United States Naval Academy, where he is an assistant professor in the Cyber Science department.  Previously, as a lawyer at Covington & Burling, he represented media and technology companies in a wide range of First Amendment and privacy issues. Among his representative matters, he advocated for federal shield law for journalists on behalf of a coalition of more than 70 media organizations. He frequently writes and speaks about the First Amendment and privacy law. The Information & Privacy Commissioner of Ontario has named Kosseff a Privacy by Design Ambassador. Kosseff is an adjunct professor of communications law at American University's School of Communications, and he serves on the board of directors of the Writer's Center in Bethesda and Advocates for Survivors of Torture and Trauma in Washington, D.C.
Before joining Covington, Kosseff clerked for Judge Milan D. Smith, Jr. of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit and Judge Leonie M. Brinkema of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia.
- "Covington & Burling -- Jeff Kosseff". Retrieved 2014-05-12.
- "Former Town Crier Interns Send Greetings from Washington, D.C.". Mackinac Island Town Crier.
- "AP Scandal Demonstrates Need for Federal Shield Law to Protect Reporters—Jeff Kosseff". LXBN.
- Kosseff, Jeff. "Defending Section 230: The Value of Intermediary Immunity". Journal of Technology, Law, & Policy.
- "Privacy Perspectives: Jeff Kosseff".
- Kosseff, Jeff. "Do We Have a Right to Online Anonymity?".
- "IAPP Global Privacy Summit 2014".
- Kosseff, Jeff. "Public or Private, Eliminating the Gertz Defamation Test" (PDF). Journal of Law, Technology, & Policy.
- "Jeff Kosseff: Privacy by Design". Archived from the original on 2014-05-18.
- "American University: Meet the Faculty".
- "The Writer's Center Board of Directors".
- "Jeff Kosseff: Covington & Burling".
- "Oregon and National Politics: About The Oregonian's Politics Team". oregon live. Retrieved 8 August 2013.
- "2007 Pulitzer Prizes for Journalism". The New York Times. 16 April 2007.
- Covington & Burling LLP -- Jeff Kosseff
- International Association of Privacy Professionals -- Jeff Kosseff
- "Jeff Kosseff: The FishbowlDC Interview", April 19, 2007
|This article about an American journalist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|