Jennifer Campbell (politician)
|Member of the|
San Diego City Council
for the Second District
|Assumed office |
December 10, 2018
|Preceded by||Lorie Zapf|
|Alma mater||George Washington University (BA)|
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine (MD)
|Website||City Council District 2 website|
Jennifer Campbell (born c. 1945) is an American politician and retired physician in San Diego, California. She currently serves as a member of the San Diego City Council representing City Council District 2. She is a Democrat, although city council positions are officially nonpartisan per California state law.
Education and career
Campbell is from Pittsburgh. She has a BA from George Washington University and an MD degree from the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. She says she practiced family medicine in Pittsburgh for "many decades", where she also learned holistic medicine and acupuncture. After moving to San Diego she became a part-time teacher of integrative medicine at the Pacific College of Oriental Medicine.
In August 2017 Campbell registered as one of five challengers to incumbent District 2 councilmember Lorie Zapf. In the June 2018 primary Zapf got 44.6% of the vote, more than twice anyone else's total but not enough to win election outright, so that she and Campbell faced a November 2018 runoff election. Their general election contest became "San Diego's most hotly contested City Council race", with heavy spending by local labor unions in favor of Campbell and by local business groups supporting Zapf. In the November election Campbell defeated Zapf, 56% to 44%. Her election gave Democrats a 6-3 majority on the City Council.
- Garrick, David (November 7, 2018). "Cole, Zapf lose re-election bids in two rare instances of San Diego council incumbents being rejected". San Diego Union Tribune. Retrieved 9 January 2019.
- "Communities | City Council District 2". City of San Diego. Retrieved December 12, 2014.
- "Q&A with City Council candidate Jennifer Campbell". San Diego Union Tribune. September 13, 2018. Retrieved 9 January 2019.
- Hargrove, Dorian (September 1, 2017). "Now Jen Campbell's going after Zapf's seat 10; That makes five candidates for District 2". San Diego Reader. Retrieved 9 January 2019.
- "Democrats gain City Council supermajority". Fox 5 San Diego. November 6, 2018. Retrieved 9 January 2019.
- Garrick, David (October 26, 2018). "San Diego City Council District 2: Incumbent Zapf battling Campbell, a doctor". San Diego Union Tribune. Retrieved 9 January 2019.
|This article about a California politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|