Jennifer Vanasco grew up in Garden City, NY and attended Wellesley College, where she graduated cum laude in 1994 with a B.A. in Philosophy. After graduating, Vanasco was associate editor at the gay paper Windy City Times in Chicago, worked as a writer for the University of Chicago, and eventually became a freelance writer and journalism teacher. She published work in the Chicago Tribune, the Advocate, the Chicago Reader, the Progressive Media Service, TimeOut Chicago and the now defunct Girlfriends magazine. Vanasco has written for the Village Voice, Fodor's Travel Guides, Sherman's Travel and over a dozen gay publications.
She was the editor in chief of 365gay.com, owned by Logo/MTV Networks, and blogs for the Huffington Post. She is a member of the Independent Gay Forum. Her column has been running weekly since its debut in Windy City Times in 1996 (it now runs in the Chicago Free Press) and won three Peter Lisagor Awards for opinion writing from the Society of Professional Journalists' Chicago Headline Club.
Vanasco, who now lives in Washington Heights in New York City with her partner, writes about travel, the arts, and social and political issues relevant to gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgender people, including gay marriage, gays in the military, and gay social life.
- The Glamour Factor and the Fiji Effect, Reading the 'L' Word: Outing Contemporary Television, I.B. Tauris Press, London, 2006
- May 16, I Do, I Don't: Queers on Marriage, Suspect Thoughts Press, San Francisco, 2004
- Grand Haven & Holland; South Haven & Saugatuck/Douglas, Where to Weekend Around Chicago, Fodor's, 2004
- "Indegayforum.org". Indegayforum.org. Archived from the original on June 12, 2010. Retrieved 2013-10-15.
- Rimer, Sara (1994-05-30). "At Wellesley, or 'First Lady Central,' the Talk Is About, Well, First Ladies". New York Times. Retrieved 2013-10-15.
- Vanasco, Jennifer. "Articles & Archives | Performing Arts | jennifer Vanasco". Chicago Reader. Retrieved 2013-10-15.
- Jennifer Vanasco (2008-06-17). "Triumph of the Lipstick Lesbians - Page 1 - NYC Life - New York". Village Voice. Retrieved 2013-10-15.
- Fodor's Where to Weekend Around Chicago - Google Boeken. Books.google.com. Retrieved 2013-10-15.
- "Jennifer Vanasco". Huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2013-10-15.
|This article about a United States journalist born in the 1970s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|