|Institutions||University of Toronto|
|Metaphysics, ethics, philosophy of mind, ancient philosophy|
Education and career
Whiting received her bachelor's from Franklin & Marshall College and went on to receive her master's in 1981 and doctorate in philosophy from Cornell University in 1984 under the supervision of Terence Irwin. Her doctoral thesis was titled "Individual Forms in Aristotle's Metaphysics."
Whiting accepted a position at Harvard University as Assistant Professor of Philosophy in 1983, where she stayed until 1986. She joined the faculty of the University of Pittsburgh as Assistant Professor of Philosophy in 1986, being promoted to Associate Professor (and granted tenure) in 1991. She moved to Cornell University in 1997 as Associate Professor of Philosophy, being promoted to full Professor in 2002. In 2003, Whiting left Cornell to join the faculty at the University of Toronto. In 2015, she moved back to the University of Pittsburgh.
In addition to her permanent appointments, Whiting served as a Visiting Assistant Professor of Philosophy for the 1990-91 school year at Cornell, and held a visiting appointment at the Humboldt University of Berlin in 2007.
Besides her academic appointments, Whiting also serves on the Advisory Board of the TOPOI Excellence Cluster and the Editorial Board of Percipi: A Graduate Journal of Philosophy. She has also previously served on the Editorial Board of Logos: Undergraduate Journal of Philosophy at Cornell, and on the Editorial Board of the History of Philosophy Quarterly.
Whiting's research interests focus on metaphysics, ethics, and the philosophy of mind. She has an especial interest in ancient philosophy, and has written extensively on Aristotle, Kant, the Stoics, and Plato. She has suggested an interpretation of Plato's tripartite psychology that differs significantly from the traditional interpretation.
She is co-editor (with Stephen Engstrom of Aristotle, Kant, and the Stoics: Rethinking Happiness and Duty (Cambridge University Press, 1996) and the author of a number of peer-reviewed journal articles and book chapters.
- "Jennifer Whiting - Graduate School of Ancient Philosophy". Humboldt-Universität zu berlin. Retrieved 25 August 2013. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "gsap" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- "Jennifer Whiting - Department of Philosophy". University of Toronto. Retrieved 7 October 2013.
- Whiting, Jennifer. "Profile for Jennifer Whiting". PhilPapers. Retrieved 7 October 2013.
- "Directors and Boards | Topoi". TOPOI. Retrieved 7 October 2013.
- "PERCIPI - About the Journal". Central European University. Retrieved 7 October 2013.
- Pakaluk, Michael. "Commentary on Whiting". Proceedings of the Boston Area Colloqium in Ancient Philosophy 17 (4): 117–120.