Jensen Beach High School
|Jensen Beach High School|
|2875 Northwest Goldenrod Road
Jensen Beach, Martin County, Florida 34957-3552
|School type||Public, Secondary|
|School district||Martin County School District|
|Color(s)||Teal, Black, and Silver
JBHS opened in August 2004 with an enrollment of 1100 students in grades 9 through 11. A senior class was added the following year. It was an open choice school for several years but now only accepts local students.
The 270,000 square feet (25,000 m2) building complex is spread over 100 acres (0.40 km2), which includes 17 acres (69,000 m2) of mitigated wetlands.
During the summer of 2013, the original principal, Ginger Featherstone, was promoted to the district position of Director of Secondary, Adult, and Community Vocational Programs. In the summer of 2015, the second principal, Greg Laws, retired citing personal health reasons. The current principal is Lori Vogel.
The school is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS). It has been an "A" school for five straight years. Jensen Beach High School was graded a B for the 2010/2011 school year.[when?] In 2009, Newsweek magazine ranked JBHS as one of the top schools in the nation (636 out of 1500). In 2010 and 2011 "Newsweek" magazine rated JBHS one of the top schools in the nation. In 2011, JBHS was the only one of the three Martin County high schools to be credited by "Newsweek" (Four including Clark Advanced Learning Center, which is a National Model High School). In 2009, the International Center for Leadership in Education recognized JBHS as one of the 40 top schools in the nation. Previous recognition includes the Florida Department of Education naming JBHS as one of the top-50 high schools in the state and being named a Positive Behavior Support (PBS) Model School (2007).
The music department was one of six schools in Florida to be named finalists in the 2010 "Grammy Foundation's Signature Schools Program."
JBHS has earned several state championships:
- mens wrestling multiple state champions
Girls' Volleyball: 2007, 2009, 2012, 2015
- Girls' Basketball: 2007
- Boys' Tennis: 2016
- Boys' Soccer: 2006
- Girls' 4 × 800 Relay: 2006
- "JENSEN BEACH HIGH SCHOOL". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved January 13, 2018.
- "Principals at Jensen Beach High, J.D. Parker moving into new positions in district offices". TCPalm. 22 May 2013. Retrieved 2 November 2013.
- "Martin County School Board made several administrative appointments June 18". TCPalm. 19 June 2013. Retrieved 2 November 2013.
- http://www.tcpalm.com/news/education/martin-county-schools/new-principal-at-jensen-beach-high-school_46120184. Missing or empty