|Languages||Kannada, Telugu, Marathi|
|Populated states||Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, TamilNadu and Maharashtra.|
Kuruba (also known as Kuruba Gowda, Kuruma , Kuruva and Kurumbar) is a Hindu caste native to the Indian state of Karnataka, where it is the third largest caste group. Like Yadava and Dhangar, the community's traditional occupation was shepherding. Some sources suggest that Kuruba is a Dravidian name for Ahir.
The term kuruba, meaning shepherd, is derived from kuri, meaning sheep.
According to Ramchandra Chintaman Dhere, a scholar of the religious traditions of Maharashtra,
The history of South India shows clearly that all the southern royal dynasties who arose from pastoralist, cowherd groups gained Kshatriya status by claiming to be Moon lineage Kshatriya, by taking Yadu as their ancestor and by continually keeping alive their pride in being "Yadava". Many dynasties in South India from the Pallavas to Yadurayas were originally members of pastoralist, cowherd groups and belonged to Kuruba lineages.
- Sangolli Rayanna, 18th century warrior who fought the British East India Company
- Kaka Nayaka, a legendary leader after whom the Kakanakote forest is named
- Beerendra Keshava Tarakananda Puri, 1st head of the Kaginele Kanaka Guru Peetha
- Kollur Mallappa
- Siddaramaiah, Chief Minister
- K S Eshwarappa, Karnataka BJP chief
- T. Mariappa, former Finance Minister of the erstwhile Mysore State
- Y. Nagappa
- Kuruba community sets a new trend at math
- Ramchandra Chintaman Dhere, Translated by Anne Feldhaus (2011). Rise of a Folk God: Vitthal of Pandharpur, South Asia Research. Oxford University Press,. pp. 240–241. ISBN 9780199777648.
- John G. R. Forlong (2008). Encyclopedia of Religions. Cosimo, Inc.,. p. 50. ISBN 9781605204840.
- Dhere, Ramchandra Chintaman (2011). Rise of a Folk God: Vitthal of Pandharpur, South Asia Research. Feldhaus, Anne (trans.). Oxford University Press,. p. 243. ISBN 978-0-19977-764-8.
- Sangolli Rayanna and the rise of caste heroes
- `Kakana Kote' as a tribute to Lokesh
- Gopura row brings caste sentiments to the fore
- Siddaramaiah is the new Karnataka CM, declares Congress
- `Gopura' issue has united Kuruba community: Nagappa
- Karnatakakurubarasangha.com - Karnataka Kuruba Sangha