The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. (May 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Jeremy Whitley is an American comic book writer and artist, known as the creator of the series Princeless and a major writer of IDW Publishing, especially the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic comic franchise.
Jeremy Whitley was born in California and raised in Livermore, California and in North Carolina. He became interested in comics through his father, who would walk him to their local Livermore comic book shop, Fact, Fiction, and Fantasy. From an early age Whitley began collecting both comics and the Marvel Masterpieces trading cards, and wrote and illustrated his first comic when he was in the third grade. He attended the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill, and graduated with a bachelor's degree in English with a minor in Creative Writing.
In 2011, Whitley created the comic series, Princeless, a series about a young black princess determined to break the norms of what a princess should be. According to Whitley, Princeless was conceived thus:
- "Princeless came from a confluence of issues I had. I’ve always had a lot of close geek girl friends and I’m always looking for strong female characters in comics to share with them. I think there just aren’t enough. When I married my wife, I got to know her younger sisters and some of her cousins. As young girls of color none of them had ever picked up a comic book (except my wife) and why should they? I can count on one hand the number of black women you can find on your comic book stand right now, not to mention the number who are positive portrayals. The same holds true for women of color in fantasy stories. I wanted my daughter to have comic books she could love the same way I’ve loved mine. Not to mention, I’m a little leery about the princess culture and what it actually teaches girls."
Also in 2011, Whitley was hired as the Director of Marketing and Public Relations at Action Lab Entertainment, focusing on the solicitations, reviews, press releases, and interviews for new releases. Jeremy has also acted as a co-writer for 2012 digital mini-series "GlobWorld" and the current series "NFL RushZone". In addition, Whitley has also been a regular writer for IDW's My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and My Little Pony: Friends Forever.
- "Jeremy Whitley – IDW Publishing". www.idwpublishing.com. Retrieved 2019-04-22.
- Cunningham, Keith (November 2, 2011). "Interview With Jeremy Whitley: The Genesis of 'Princeless.'" Action Lab.
- Jeremy Whitley. Amazon.com. Retrieved October 5, 2015
- "PRINCELESS: Indie Comic Turns Princess Stories on Their Head". Newsarama. Retrieved 2019-04-22.
- Thompson, Kelly (January 30, 2012). "She Has No Head! – An Interview With Princeless Creator Jeremy Whitley". Comic Book Resources.