Jeremy "Jerry" Arac Sabloff (born 1944) is an American anthropologist and past president of the Santa Fe Institute. Sabloff is an expert on ancient Maya civilization and pre-industrial urbanism. His academic interests have included settlement pattern studies, archaeological theory and method, the history of archaeology, the relevance of archaeology in the modern world, complexity theory, and trans-disciplinary science.
He was the Christopher H. Browne Distinguished Professor of Anthropology at the University of Pennsylvania, as well as the Williams Director of the University of Pennsylvania Museum (1994–2004) and interim director of the museum (2006–2007). He also has taught at Harvard University, the University of Utah, the University of New Mexico (where he was chair of the Department of Anthropology), and the University of Pittsburgh (where he was chair of the Department of Anthropology). He retired as Santa Fe Institute president on July 31, 2015.
Sabloff is an outspoken proponent of science communication. In 2010 he delivered the distinguished lecture at the American Anthropological Association's annual meeting, encouraging anthropologists to make their work accessible to their relevant publics and cultivate a new generation of scientist-communicators.
Sabloff is past president of the Society for American Archaeology, a past anthropology section chair of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, and past editor of American Antiquity.
He has served as chair of the Smithsonian Science Commission (2001–2003) and currently chairs the visiting committee for the Peabody Museum at Harvard University. He is a member of the National Advisory Board of the National Museum of Natural History, the Board of Trustees of the SRI Foundation, the National Academy of Sciences and the American Philosophical Society, and is a fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. He is a fellow of both the Society of Antiquaries, London, and the American Association for the Advancement of Science.
He is the author of Excavations at Seibal: Ceramics (1975), The Cities of Ancient Mexico (1989,1997), The New Archaeology and the Ancient Maya (1990), and Archaeology Matters (2008). He is co-author of A History of American Archaeology (1974, 1980, 1993), A Reconnaissance of Cancuen, Peten, Guatemala (1978), Ancient Civilizations: The Near East and Mesoamerica (1979, 1995), Cozumel: Late Maya Settlement Patterns (1984), and The Ancient Maya City of Sayil (1991). He has edited or co-edited 12 books, the most recent of which is (with anthropologist Joyce Marcus) The Ancient City (2008).
Sabloff resides in Santa Fe, New Mexico. He is married to anthropologist Paula Sabloff.
- "Jeremy Sabloff's profile/bio". Santa Fe Institute. Retrieved 2013-04-14.
- Sabloff, Jeremy (1994). The New Archaeology and the Ancient Maya. Scientific American Library, W. H. Freeman. ISBN 978-0716760078. Retrieved 2013-04-14.
- Sabloff, Jeremy (1997). The Cities of Ancient Mexico (Revised ed.). Thames and Hudson. ISBN 978-0500279298. Retrieved 2013-04-14.
- Marcus, Joyce; Sabloff, Jeremy A., eds. (2008). The Ancient City: New Perspectives on Urbanism in the Old and New Worlds. School for Advanced Research Press. ISBN 978-1934691021. Retrieved 2013-04-14.
- "America's National Monuments: The Politics of Preservation: Bibliographic Essay". U.S. National Park Service. Archived from the original on 2012-10-23. Retrieved 2013-04-14.
- "Program of the 76th Annual Meeting" (pdf). Society for American Archaeology. Retrieved 2013-04-14.
- Ratneshwar, Priya. "Archaeology Matters". SASFrontiers. University of Pennsylvania School of Arts and Sciences. Retrieved 2013-04-14.
- "Biography of Jeremy Sabloff". Minnesota State University, Mankato. Archived from the original on June 3, 2010.
- Fash, William; Sabloff, Jeremy, eds. (2007). Gordon R. Willey and American Archaeology. University of Oklahoma Press. Retrieved 2013-04-14.
- Sabloff, Jeremy (September 2004). "Obituary of Gordon Randolph Willey" (PDF). Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society. 148 (3): 406–410. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2012-03-19. Retrieved 2013-04-14.
- National Academy of Sciences Online, audio interview with Jeremy Sabloff, 2009
- Jeremy A. Sabloff, 2010, distinguished lecture at the American Anthropological Association's annual meeting
- "Smithsonian Science Commission Contacts". Archived from the original on 2011-01-08. Retrieved 2011-04-05.