Wales, United Kingdom
|Alma mater||Rhode Island School of Design|
University of London
University of Edinburgh
Jessica Hemmings is a British academic and writer.
Born in Wales, Hemmings spent her childhood in America and Indonesia. She graduated with a BFA in Textile Design from the Rhode Island School of Design in 1999 and an MA in Comparative Literature from the University of London’s School of Oriental and African Studies in 2000. Her PhD, awarded by the University of Edinburgh in 2006, is published by kalliope paperbacks under the title, Yvonne Vera: The Voice of Cloth (2008).
Hemmings is currently Professor of Craft & Vice-Prefekt of Research at HDK-Valand, University of Gothenburg, Sweden. Previous academic appointments include Professor of Visual Culture and Head of the School of Visual Culture at the National College of Art & Design, Dublin (2012-2016); Deputy Director of Research and Head of Context, Edinburgh College of Art, University of Edinburgh (2010-2012); Associate Director of the Centre for Visual & Cultural Studies, Edinburgh College of Art (2008-2010); Reader in Textile Culture, Winchester School of Art, University of Southampton, England (2008). She is a member of the editorial board of TEXTILE: the journal of cloth & culture (Taylor & Francis) and Craft Research (Intellect).
As a writer she has published Warp and Weft: Woven Textiles in Fashion, Art and Interiors (2012) and Yvonne Vera: The Voice of Cloth (2008), and edited three books. Based on her editorial project Cultural Threads, Hemmings curated Migrations, an international travelling exhibition gallery, which traveled 2015–2017 around the globe. The Cultural Threads book inspired Dutch curator Liza Swaving’s exhibition of the same name held at the TextielMuseum, Tilburg, the Netherlands (24 November – 12 May, 2019).
- Cultural Threads: Transnational Textiles Today, Bloomsbury Academic (15 January 2015), ISBN 978-1472524997
- Warp and Weft: Woven Textiles in Fashion, Art and Interiors, A&C Black Visual Arts (6 December 2012), ISBN 978-1408134443
- The Textile Reader, Berg Publishers (13 March 2012), ISBN 978-1847886347
- In the Loop: Knitting Now, Black Dog Press (11 May 2010), ISBN 978-1906155964
- Yvonne Vera: The Voice of Cloth, kalliope paperbacks; 1st Edition (1 January 2008),  ISBN 978-3981079852
2020–2021 Rita Bolland Fellowship at the Research Centre for Material Culture, the Netherlands 
Nordic Textile Art Network, Reykjavik, Iceland (2019), Zeitz MOCCA, Cape Town, South Africa (2018), University of British Columbia, Canada (2017), ObjectSpace, New Zealand (2016), Design Canberra Festival, Australia (2015), SOFA Chicago New Voices Lecture (2012), Cranbrook Academy of Art (2012) INIVA, London (2009).
- "Craft and Labour – A Seminar with Jessica Hemmings". The University of British Columbia. 10 February 2017.
- "Advisory Board". Taylor & Francis.
- "Intellect Books | About Jessica Hemmings". Intellect Books. Retrieved 31 July 2020.
- "Migrations: an exhibition of international textile works guest curated by Jessica Hemmings in collaboration with NCAD Gallery". NCAD. 30 April 2015.
- Tipton, Gemma (23 July 2016). "Weaving the fabric of life, history and culture". The Irish Times.
- Edelkoort, Lidewij (1 May 2019). "Talking Textiles Cultural Thread". Trend Tablet.
- Lewis, Perri (14 April 2010). "It's knitting, but not as we know it". The Guardian.
- "Material Culture Fellowships". 29 October 2019.
- "The Textile Art of Tomorrow". 30 March 2019.
- "Material Matters in Paintings at the End of an Era". 2 December 2018.
- "Jessica Hemmings Making Meaning Craft Labour". 17 November 2017.
- "Site and Sight: Surveying the New Sense of Textile Art". 2 November 2012.
- "Introversion and Knitting: rethinking solitary production". 31 October 2012.
- "The Ambi Generation: Second Skins". 29 April 2009.