Wales, United Kingdom
|Alma mater||Rhode Island School of Design|
University of London
Jessica Hemmings is a British academic and writer.
Born in Wales, Jessica graduated in textile Design from Rhode Island School of Design and earned an M.A. degree in Comparative Literature from University of London’s School of Oriental and African Studies in 2000. Her PhD, awarded by the University of Edinburgh, is published by Kalliope paperbacks with the title, Yvonne Vera: The Voice of Cloth (2008).
Jessica is currently serving as professor of Craft & Vice-Prefekt of Research at HDK-Valand, University of Gothenburg, Sweden. She is also a member of the editorial board of textile, the journal of cloth & culture (Taylor & Francis) and Craft Research (Intellect).
As a writer, she has edited three books. Based on her editorial project Cultural Threads, Hemmings curated Migrations, an international travelling exhibition gallery, which traveled 2015– 2017 around the globe.
- Cultural Threads: Transnational Textiles Today, Bloomsbury Academic (15 January 2015), ISBN 978-1472524997
- Warp and Weft: Woven Textiles in Fashion, Art and Interiors, A&C Black Visual Arts (6 December 2012), ISBN 978-1408134443
- The Textile Reader, Berg Publishers (13 March 2012), ISBN 978-1847886347
- In the Loop: Knitting Now, Black Dog Press (11 May 2010), ISBN 978-1906155964
- Yvonne Vera: The Voice of Cloth, kalliope paperbacks; 1st Edition (2008), ISBN 978-3981079852
- "Craft and Labour – A Seminar with Jessica Hemmings". The University of British Columbia. 10 February 2017.
- "Advisory Board". Taylor & Francis.
- "Migrations: an exhibition of international textile works guest curated by Jessica Hemmings in collaboration with NCAD Gallery". NCAD. 30 April 2015.
- Tipton, Gemma (23 July 2016). "Weaving the fabric of life, history and culture". The Irish Times.
- Lewis, Perri (14 April 2010). "It's knitting, but not as we know it". The Guardian.