Winchester School of Art
The Winchester School of Art was founded in 1870, and originally occupied Winchester's twelfth-century Wolvesley Palace. In 1962 it was granted its own buildings, which it still occupies. In the 1996, the School became a department of the University of Southampton.
Textile Conservation Centre
The Textile Conservation Centre was a specialist centre for research and training founded in 1975 by Karen Finch at Hampton Court Palace. Between 1998 and 2009 the Centre was merged with the University of Southampton and housed from 1999 in a purpose-designed building at the Winchester School of Art. In April 2009, it was announced that the University of Southampton had decided to close the Textile Conservation Centre on 31 October 2009, prompting widespread concern by academics and historians. The programme is now part of the Centre for Textile Conservation and Technical Art History at the University of Glasgow, where it opened in the fall of 2010.
- Mary Fairburn, Tolkien artist. Diploma in Design (Painting), 1954.
- John Buckley, sculptor.
- James Castle, draughtsman and sculptor. Invited Artist at RWEA 2006.
- Brian Eno, studied fine art 1966–69, electronic music pioneer, recording artist and producer.
- Paul Lee, artist in residence at Chinati Foundation in 2007, Brooklyn-based sculptural artist. Graduated in Fine Art in 1997.
- Margaret Graeme Niven, painter.
- Mick O'Dea, artist. Graduated in Fine Art in 1997.
- Katie Pratt, youngest ever winner of the Jerwood Painting Prize in 2001. Graduated in Fine Art, painting, in 1992.
- Linda Sutton, fine art graduate. Winner of the double painting prize 1969, won the 100' mural prize at The Royal College of Art, London.
- Stella Tennant, graduated in Fine Art in 1993 – went on to be a supermodel.
- Jasmine Guinness, spent one year on Printmaking – went on to be a supermodel.
- Stephen Chambers, British artist and Royal Academician, graduated 1979.
- "University of Southampton: Winchester School of Art". UK: =Prospects.ac.uk. Retrieved 11 December 2012.
- "The Rotunda, Winchester School of Art — The Twentieth Century Society". c20society.org.uk. Retrieved 2019-05-20.
- "Graduate Fashion Week 2006". University of Southampton. University of Southampton. Retrieved 20 May 2019.
- Clancy, Henrietta (December 2007). "Textile Conservation Centre to close down". Museums Journal (107/12): 4.
- "Online petition to save TCC (expired)". International Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works. 1 April 2008. Retrieved 6 April 2017.
- Welcome to the Centre for Textile Conservation and Technical Art History
- Tankard, Paul, “An Art to Depict ‘the Noble and the Heroic’: Tolkien on Adaptation, Illustration and the Art of Mary Fairburn,” The Journal of Inklings Studies, 9: 1 (April 2019), 19-42, vid. 36.
- Frances Spalding (1990). 20th Century Painters and Sculptors. Antique Collectors' Club. ISBN 1 85149 106 6.
- Jerwood Painting Prize 2001 Archived 2012-02-08 at the Wayback Machine. Jerwood Space. Accessed September 2013.