Jihae (rock musician)
This biography of a living person relies too much on references to primary sources. (October 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||Seoul, South Korea|
|Genres||Indie rock, pop, rock, R&B,|
|Occupation(s)||Singer, song-writer, actress, multimedia artist|
|Instruments||Voice, guitar, bass|
Jihae was born in Seoul, South Korea and lived in various parts of the world in her youth from her home country to Nigeria, Sweden and then to New York City. She graduated with a BA degree in Political Science from Emory University, intending to follow in her father's footsteps as a diplomat, but instead she moved to New York and became an artist.
In 2009, Jihae launched Septem, a boutique music and multimedia company dedicated to music for production and social cause based projects. Septem is also a digital platform to showcase artists of any medium curated by select artists.
Illusion of You, her 2015 album, was co-produced by Jihae and Jean-Luc Sinclair with executive producer Dave Stewart. Dave Stewart is also guest artist on this album, along with Django James and Sam Stewart from the band Nightmare and the Cat. Illusion of You features a song co-written by Jihae, Leonard Cohen and Dave Stewart called "It Just Feels".
Music for Production
In recent years, Jihae created original compositions for commercials and short films for the following brands:
- LVMH (2008)
- Bacardi (One Dream Rush short film collective) (2009)
- Alcatel Mobile Phones (2010)
- Eileen Fisher (2010)
- The North Face Purple Label and Nanamica (2009–present)
- Michel Gondry – My Heart Is an Elephant (LP, 2007)
- Lenny Kravitz – My Heart Is an Elephant (LP, 2007)
- Lenny Kravitz plays bass and guitar on "In Love with a Tornado".
- Kevin Thomas - Black Pearl (short film, 2007)
- Black Pearl is a six-minute short film set in Hong Kong based on Jihae's first single. Jihae and Kevin Thomas collaborated on the concept and making of the short where she plays both male and female lead characters. The film is about a love story about a young rebellious son of a liberace, who owns a hair salon caught in a time warp and his forbidden love, the daughter of a mobster.
- Christopher Doyle and Gerald Byrnes - Interview (video art, 2008)
- Marco Brambilla - Ghost (video art, 2010)
- Koh Sang Woo - Performance Art (2011)
- Jihae collaborates with Korean painter/photographer Koh Sang Woo on a performance art presentation at the Asian Arts Award Ceremony.
- Dave Stewart (2012)
- "Man to Man Woman to Woman" is a song by Dave Stewart.
Jihae sings a duet with Stewart for the Walk a Mile project initiated by the US State Department. Walk a Mile is a global campaign to stop bigotry and promote respect across lines of culture, religion, tradition, class, and gender.
Also a multimedia artist, Jihae's expanding work in music, fine art and films and theater has her works featured on IFC, NME, MTV, Pitchfork, ID, Vogue Germany, NY Press, and various other outlets.
- Fire Burning Rain Rock Opera
- Created by Jihae and John Patrick Shanley. Inspired by Joan of Arc, it is a futuristic tale of a heroine's journey to free 'the light' to save the dying earth and humanity. Jihae and a cast of twenty dancers, actors and acrobats performed Fire Burning Rain at Le Poisson Rouge on September 7, 2010 and the Highline Ballroom on September 8, 2011.
- Elvis Is Still Alive
- A video art piece based on the song "Elvis Is Still Alive" that premiered on IFC.
This section needs additional citations for verification. (January 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Many of Jihae's projects have focused on enacting social change. She has donated her time and performance for the following organizations:
- Simon Says Sing for Peace
- Simon Says is an interactive musical peace movement created by Jihae. Using the most universal children's game as a tool for peace, Jihae wrote a children's peace song called "Simon Says" to give a voice to the children that don't have a voice. To create awareness of child soldiers and affected children in areas of conflict all over the world and promoting change using the power of song, Jihae made an instrumental version of "Simon Says" encouraging everyone to write and record their own peace message.
- 2012 Hours against Hate
- Jihae recorded and performed a duet with Dave Stewart "Man to Man, Woman to Woman" chosen by Hillary Clinton as the theme song for the 2012 Hours Against Hate. This global campaign was developed by the State Department to stop bigotry and promote respect across lines of culture, religion, tradition, class, and gender. It launched in July 2012 in collaboration with the Olympics Committee, Dave Stewart and the David Lynch Foundation in London with a pre-Olympic concert featuring performances from Mike Scott and the Waterboys, Daryl Hall, KT Tunstall, Dave Stewart and Jihae.
|My Heart Is an Elephant||March 15, 2007|||
|Afterthought||June 12, 2008|||
|Elvis Is Still Alive||November 11, 2008|||
|Fire Burning Rain||September 7, 2010|||
|Illusion of You||July 21, 2015|||
|2009||2B||Singer (as Jihae Kim)|||
|2018||Mortal Engines||Anna Fang|||
|2016||Mars||Joon Seung & Hana Seung|||
- Roshanian, Arya (2016-11-03). "Singer Jihae on Her Acting Debut in National Geographic's 'Mars'". Variety. Retrieved 2018-01-13.
- "Jihae Biography". IMDb. Retrieved 2018-01-13.
- Kim, Jihae. "Agria". Agria. Retrieved 25 October 2012.
- Kim, Jihae. "Find Your Tribe". Find Your Tribe. Retrieved 25 October 2012.
- Kim, Jihae. "Roots of Life Volume III". Roots of Life Volume III. Retrieved 25 October 2012.
- Morriss, Stephanie. "My Heart Is An Elephant", Trace (magazine), New York, March 2007.
- Kim, Jihae. "Black Pearl". Black Pearl. Septem Inc. Retrieved 25 October 2012.
- Kim, Jihae. "Interview". Interview. Septem Inc. Retrieved 25 October 2012.
- Brambilla, Marco. "Ghost". Ghost. Retrieved 25 October 2012.
- Stewart, Dave. "Man to Man Woman to Woman". Man to Man Woman to Woman. Retrieved 25 October 2012.
- Kim, Jihae. "Elvis Is Still Alive". Fire Burning Rain. Le Poisson Rouge. Archived from the original on 14 January 2012. Retrieved 5 October 2012.
- Gans, Andrew. "Fire Burning Rain". Fire Burning Rain. Playbill. Archived from the original on 1 February 2013. Retrieved 5 October 2012.
- Kim, Jihae. "Elvis Is Still Alive". Elvis Is Still Alive. IFC. Retrieved 23 January 2012.
- Kim, Jihae. "Tuileries". Tuileries. Retrieved 25 October 2012.
- Kim, Jihae. "Best Thing". Best Thing. Retrieved 25 October 2012.
- Kim, Jihae. "Simon Says". Simon Says. Retrieved 23 January 2012.
- Spokesperson, Office of the. "Secretary of State Clinton's 2012 Hours Against Hate Campaign Launches the Walk A Mile Olympic Program". Hours against Hate. Retrieved 25 October 2012.
- Hamaïde, Julie (2016-11-18). "Dans "MARS", JiHAE part à la conquête de la planète rouge". ChEEk Magazine (in French). Retrieved 2018-01-13.
- Raper, Dan (2009-02-08). "Jihae: Elvis is Still Alive". PopMatters. Retrieved 2018-01-13.
- Han, Brian (2015-10-22). "Battling modern day music industry, JiHAE lets passion prevail". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2018-01-13.
- "2B (2009)". IMDb. Retrieved 2018-01-13.
- Kit, Borys (2017-03-06). "Stephen Lang, Jihae, Newcomer Leila George Join Peter Jackson's 'Mortal Engines' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2018-01-13.
- Schwartz, Dana (2016-11-16). "JiHAE on Making a Trip to 'Mars'". Observer. Retrieved 2018-01-13.