Jimmy Joe Roche
|Jimmy Joe Roche|
|Born||James Joseph Roche
Tallahassee, Florida, United States
|Occupation||Visual artist, filmmaker, actor|
|Years active||2003 – present|
Roche's works have been screened in venues and museums all over the U.S. and Canada including the Corcoran Museum of Art, Walters Art Museum, Anthology Film Archives, New York Underground Film Festival, Yale College, the Great American Music Hall, and San Francisco International Animation festival. His recent collaboration, Ultimate Reality, with musician Dan Deacon has gained national press attention.
Roche has also worked with the Academy Award-winning filmmaker Jonathan Demme, most recently acting in the film Rachel Getting Married. In 2006 he shot and edited the Neil Young "Heart of Gold: Behind the Scenes" featurette, and in 2003 he worked with Demme to create the journal for Corporal Melvin in the Paramount film the Manchurian Candidate.
Recently Roche's short film Baltimore Shopping Network was featured on the New Museum's website Rizhome, and his music video for Deacon's "Crystal Cat" was featured on the front page of YouTube, gathering over a million views. In June 2008 Roche had his first solo exhibition of his work at R.A.R.E Gallery in Chelsea, Manhattan.
Since 2011, Roche has curated and hosted the ongoing Gunky's Basement Film Series, a project of Maryland Film Festival, with his frequent collaborator, musician Dan Deacon. Starting in September 2012, he has also hosted and curated Maryland Film Festival's horror series "Night Zones With Jimmy Joe Roche".
- How to Make a Toothbeef Sandwich (2007)
- Freedom Was Made in 7 Days (2007)
- Lean Cuts For Osama Bin' (2007)
- Ultimate Reality (2007)
- Gather Round (2008)
- My Brother Wolf Spirit (2008)
- Back In Black (2008)
- Vortex Accumulator (2008)
- Organic Noise (2009)
- Basement Bleeds (2009)
- Earth Currents (2009)
- Sitting Still (2010)
- Peacing Out (2011)
- Static Sermon (2011)
- Neutral Death Test (2011)
- Homelands (2011)
- Pascal's Room (2011)
- Beamsplitter (2011)
- Rooster Bob's - Caffeinated Chicken (2011)
- Mad Max Noise Vest (2012)
- Hilvarenbeek (2011)
- "Crystal Cat" — Dan Deacon (2007)
- "Past Events". Washington Project for the Arts. Retrieved 19 June 2013.
- Roche, Jimmy Joe. "Thrown Dripper". Retrieved 19 June 2013.
- Dorr, Nate (9 January 2008). "Dan Deacon and Jimmy Joe Roche: Ultimate Reality | PopMatters". PopMatters. PopMatters Media, Inc. Retrieved 19 June 2013.
- Sessa, Sam (20 January 2008). "Work in Progress". The Baltimore Sun. Retrieved 19 June 2013.
- "Rachel Getting Married (2008) - Full cast and crew". IMDb. Retrieved 19 June 2013.
- "Neil Young: Heart of Gold (2006) - Full cast and crew". IMDb. Retrieved 19 June 2013.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20081123064109/http://www.manchuriancandidate.com/notes02.html. Archived from the original on November 23, 2008. Retrieved February 13, 2008. Missing or empty
- Moss, Ceci (18 January 2008). "Rhizome | Reblog Archive: Baltimore Shopping Network (2007) by Jimmy Joe Roche". Rhizome. Retrieved 19 June 2013.
- Roche, Jimmy Joe (13 May 2007). "Dan Deacon - CRYSTAL CAT - YouTube". YouTube. jimmyjoeroche via YouTube. Retrieved 19 June 2013.
2,319,880 views as of 19 June 2013.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20080225031858/http://www.rare-gallery.com/calender.html. Archived from the original on February 25, 2008. Retrieved February 13, 2008. Missing or empty
- Roche, Jimmy Joe. "Ultimate Reality, November 2007". Baker Artist Awards. Retrieved 19 June 2013.
Ultimate Reality is a performance involving live electronic music performed by Dan Deacon, two live drummers and video projection. All the footage is edited from Arnold Schwarzenegger films.
- Roche, Jimmy Joe. "Homelands, 2011". Baker Artist Awards. Retrieved 19 June 2013.
Homelands combines contrasting modes of cinematic reality, a mash-up of different aesthetics in American pop culture. Tension between performance, aesthetics, and content draws attention to the hidden mechanism of mainstream media ...
- Roche, Jimmy Joe. "Mad Max Noise Vest, Summer 2012". Baker Artist Awards. Retrieved 19 June 2013.
In 2012 I received a New Works Residency at Harvestworks in NYC. This is a funded residency where you work with a team to develop a project. The result is the Mad Max Noise Vest.
- Roche, Jimmy Joe. "Hilvarenbeek, 2011". Baker Artist Awards. Retrieved 19 June 2013.
Hilvarenbeek was funded through the Incubate Arts residency program based in Tilburg, Netherlands. It was a collaboration with musician Dan Deacon. I served as director, cinematographer and editor on this film. I cast Dutch actors, farmers and locals ...; scouted locations through email and Skype; and shot the entire film in two and a half weeks.