Joaquín Árias (baseball)
Árias with the San Francisco Giants
September 21, 1984 |
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
|September 13, 2006, for the Texas Rangers|
(through 2015 season)
|Runs batted in||95|
|Career highlights and awards|
Joaquín Árias (born September 21, 1984) is a Dominican professional baseball infielder who is currently with the Arizona Diamondbacks. He has played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Texas Rangers, New York Mets and San Francisco Giants.
Árias was acquired by the Texas Rangers on March 23, 2004, completing a trade made 36 days earlier on February 16 that sent Alex Rodriguez to the New York Yankees for Alfonso Soriano. Among five Yankees prospects offered to the Rangers, Árias was selected over Robinson Canó because he was a more polished defender and two years younger. Árias made his Major League debut with the Rangers on September 13, 2006, drawing a walk.
New York Mets
Kansas City Royals
On November 4, 2010, Árias was claimed off waivers by the Kansas City Royals, but the Royals designated Árias for assignment on December 19 to make room on the 40-man roster for the prospects acquired in the Zack Greinke trade.
San Francisco Giants
The San Francisco Giants signed Árias to a minor league contract on December 15, 2011. After spending the 2012 Spring training with the Giants, he was assigned to Fresno Grizzlies, Giants' Triple-A affiliate, on April 5. He played 18 games for the Grizzlies, hitting .400 with 2 home runs and 17 RBIs. The Giants called up Árias on April 25.
Árias hit his first major-league home run in his 331st career major-league at-bat on May 22, 2012. The two-run homer off Milwaukee Brewers starting pitcher Shaun Marcum gave San Francisco a 4–0 lead in the 4th inning of a game the Giants would go on to win by a score of 6–4. On June 13, 2012, playing third base, Árias fielded the ball and threw to first base for the final out of Matt Cain's perfect game. On August 22, 2012, he accumulated a single-game career high of five RBIs. In total Árias appeared in 112 games of the 2012 regular season, batting .270 with 5 home runs and 34 RBIs. He was also hit by pitches a team-high 5 times.
The Giants finished the 2012 season as World Series Champions. During the postseason Árias appeared in 12 games, all of them as a mid- to late-inning replacement. On October 10, during the Division Series against the Cincinnati Reds, Árias entered the game in the fourth inning and had two hits in three times at bat. Both hits were doubles, after both of which Árias eventually scored runs in a game the Giants won 8–3. Overall for the postseason, Árias went 3-for-8 (.375) with three runs scored.
On June 24, 2013, Árias left a game against the Los Angeles Dodgers in the second inning with a left hamstring injury after scoring from first base on a double by Andres Torres. The injury only sidelined Árias for a little over a week and he took the field for the Giants against the Cincinnati Reds on July 3. However, his return proved to be short-lived when he required an emergency appendectomy late on the night of July 7. The following day the Giants placed him on the 15-day disabled list. He was re-activated and returned to the team on July 26. Árias started 47 games, appeared in 102 games, batting .271 with 19 RBIs.
On January 23, 2014, Árias and the Giants agreed on a two-year, $2.6-million contract. Árias appeared in 107 games, batting .254 with 15 RBIs. In the 2014 postseason, Árias appeared in 8 games, batting 2-for-4 with one RBI and two runs scored, as the Giants won the 2014 World Series.
On April 28, 2015, Árias hit 3-for-3 off Clayton Kershaw, becoming the first Giant get three hits off Kershaw in one game. Árias appeared in 40 games, batting .207, before being designated for assignment on July 27. Árias cleared waivers and was assigned to the Triple-A Sacramento River Cats.
- "Rangers acquire SS Joaquin Árias from Yankees" (Press release). Texas.rangers.mlb.com. 2004-03-23. Retrieved 2010-09-02.
- Kepner, Tyler (2010-09-01). "Newest Met Is a Footnote in Yankees History". Bats.blogs.nytimes.com. Retrieved 2010-09-02.
- Grant, Evan (2010-08-24). "Rangers purchase contract of Alex Cora, designate Joaquin Arias for assignment | Texas Rangers Blog | Sports News | News for Dallas, Texas | The Dallas Morning News". Rangersblog.dallasnews.com. Retrieved 2010-09-02.
- Puma, Mike (2010-08-17). "Mets trade Francoeur to Rangers for Arias". NYPOST.com. Retrieved 2010-09-02.
- Kaegel, Dick (4 November 2010). "Kansas City Royals claim infielder Joaquin Arias off waivers; Mets trim 40-man roster". mlb.com.
- Leach, Matthew; Kaegel, Dick. "KC parts with Greinke, picks up heap of talent". MLB.com.
- Goheen, Kevin (2012-04-26). "Arias brought up to bolster Giants' infield". sfgiants.com. Retrieved 2012-05-23.
- "May 22, 2012 San Francisco Giants at Milwaukee Brewers Play by Play and Box Score". Baseball-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. 2000–2013. Retrieved August 5, 2013.
- "June 13, 2012 Houston Astros at San Francisco Giants Play by Play and Box Score". Baseball-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. 2000–2013. Retrieved August 5, 2013.
- Haft, Chris (2012-08-22). "Giants sweep Dodgers behind Arias' big night". sfgiants.com. Retrieved 2012-08-22.
- "2012 San Francisco Giants Batting, Pitching and Fielding Statistics". Baseball-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. 2000–2013. Retrieved August 5, 2013.
- "Joaquin Arias Postseason Batting Gamelogs". Baseball-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. 2000–2013. Retrieved August 5, 2013.
- Felkins, Melissa (June 24, 2013). "Arias Leaves Game After Hamstring Injury". Around the Foghorn. Around the Foghorn and FanSided, LLC. Retrieved August 5, 2013.
- "July 3, 2013 San Francisco Giants at Cincinnati Reds Box Score and Play by Play". Baseball-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. 2000–2013. Retrieved August 5, 2013.
- Haft, Chris (July 8, 2013). "Arias hits DL after appendectomy". SFGiants.com: News. MLB Advanced Media L.P. Retrieved August 5, 2013.
- Owens, Andrew (July 26, 2013). "Giants send down Dunning as Arias returns". SFGiants.com: News. MLB Advanced Media L.P. Retrieved August 5, 2013.
- Haft, Chris (January 23, 2014). "Giants, utility man Arias settle on two-year contract". MLB.com.
- Schulman, Henry (April 28, 2015). "Giants Splash: Notes on Bumgarner, Belt and more". San Francisco Chronicle.
- Steward, Carl (July 27, 2015). "Giants designate Arias for assignment". San Jose Mercury News.
- "Arias clears waivers, stays with Giants organization". CSN Bay Area. August 4, 2015.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- Article on Rangers MLB Website