Jockeys (TV series)
|Directed by||John Chester|
|Presented by||Trevor Denman|
|Narrated by||Eric Head|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||19|
|Executive producer(s)||Liz Bronstein
|Location(s)||Santa Anita Park, Arcadia, California|
|Running time||22 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Go Go Luckey Entertainment|
|Original channel||Animal Planet|
|Original release||February 6, 2009– October 2, 2009|
Jockeys is an American documentary sports reality television series that premiered on February 6, 2009 on Animal Planet. The series chronicles the professional lives of jockeys during the famous thirty-day Oak Tree Meet at Santa Anita Park. First and second season episodes aired on Friday nights.
The taglines of the show are:
- "Win or Die Trying" for season 1 and
- "To Win It All You Have to Risk It All" for season 2.
- Mike E. Smith – A veteran and Hall of Fame jockey
- Chantal Sutherland – Her move from Canada to California to continue her relationship with Mike Smith serves as a dramatic subplot in the series. Sutherland's struggles as a female jockey trying to break into a man's world is a key plot point.
- Joe Talamo – A young and successful jockey. The series chronicles how he handles success at a young age.
- Aaron Gryder – A veteran hard-working family man who has never won the big race but continues to press on.
- Jon Court – A 30-year veteran still chasing his dreams.
- Kayla Stra – A young Australian trying to break into the US racing world.
- Alex Solis – Solis is trying to recover from a broken back injury.
- Corey Nakatani – Breaks his collarbone in a fall early in the Oak Tree Meet in Season 1. His comeback his chronicled in Season 2.
- Garrett Gomez – Featured in the various episodes in Season 1 and was introduced as the nation's hottest jockey. He becomes a featured jockey in Season 2.
- Iggy Puglisi – While not billed as a featured jockey in the series, Puglisi is a major focus in Season 2's second episode as he attempts to come back from a broken back injury.
- Brandon Meier – Brandon is the son of successful jockey Randall Meier.
- Gary Stevens – Featured in various episodes, he rides in the Jockey Living Legends race
- Sandy Hawley – Hawley wins the Jockey Living Legends race aboard Tribal Chief.
- Julie Krone – Featured in the Jockey Living Legends episode, Krone's status as the world's best female jockey is juxtaposed against Chantal's storyline.
- Angel Cordero Jr – Featured in the Jockey Living Legends episode.
- Pat Day, featured in the Jockey Living Legends episode.
- Rafael Bejarano – Featured in various episodes.
- Eibar Coa, cameos in the first two episodes.
- Edgar Prado – Cameos in the first two episodes.
Season 1 (2009)
|Episode #||Episode Title||Original Airdate|
|01||"At the Starting Gate"||February 6, 2009|
|Introduces rising star Joe and his effect on working man Aaron. Chantal decides to move to Los Angeles to live with her boyfriend Mike.|
|02||"One Good Horse (titled Zenyatta on Animal Planet's web site)"||February 13, 2009|
|Introduces Australian new girl Kayla as she tries to get her first U.S. mount. Mike races against nation's hottest jockey, Garrett Gomez.|
|03||"At What Cost?"||February 20, 2009|
|Introduces Brandon Meier, a young jockey hoping to rival the career of his father. Kayla takes a tumble.|
|04||"Broken"||March 3, 2009|
|Kayla considers quitting as she tries to win her first race at Santa Anita. Jon Court tries to prove that he still has what it takes.|
|05||"Losing Grace (titled Living with the Competition on Animal Planet's website)"||March 10, 2009|
|Chantal and Mike race against each other. Aaron races against a horse named after his daughter.|
|06||"Foul"||March 17, 2009|
|Joe rides for his girlfriend's father. After winning a big race on a horse with huge potential, Aaron Gryder faces a Stewards' inquiry.|
|07||"May the Horse be With You"||March 24, 2009|
|Joe turns to Mike for advice when he goes into a cold streak.|
|08||"Legend of the Fallen"||March 31, 2009|
|Some of the greatest riders of all time come out of retirement to risk it all on the track for one big race. Chantal faces a tough decision.|
|09||"Hands Down"||April 7, 2009|
|Alex rides a horse owned by his son. Brandon Meier has a hard time breaking through in Southern California.|
|10||"Go Big or Go Home"||April 14, 2009|
|Horse of the Year Curlin arrives at Santa Anita for the Breeders' Cup.|
|11||"Upset"||April 21, 2009|
|Jockeys and racing fans are shocked by the results of the $5 million Breeder's Cup Classic.|
|12||"It All Comes Down to This"||April 28, 2009|
|Mike Smith hopes to ride undefeated filly, Zenyatta, to victory and make his mark in horse racing history.|
Season 2 (2009)
|Episode #||Episode Title||Original Airdate|
|13||"Life is a Gamble"||October 21, 2009|
|Corey Nakatani is ready to fight his way back to the top. Kristin Mulhall and Chantal Sutherland take a chance with a promising horse.|
|14||"I Want Revenge"||October 28, 2009|
|Three jockeys struggle for the same goals. Joe Talamo rides potential Kentucky Derby-bound I Want Revenge; Aaron Gryder tries to prove himself in Dubai; Iggy Puglisi tries to break back into the top ranks of jockeys.|
|15||"The Have Nots"||November 4, 2009|
|The women jockeys fight for their wins on and off the track in a male dominated sport.|
|16||"Split Decision"||November 11, 2009|
|Chantal and Jon must make a decision that will change the rest of their lives: should Chantal stay in California or go back to greener pastures in Canada.|
|17||"Tilt"||November 18, 2009|
|Alex Solis and his son face competition with rival trainer Bob Baffert, who enters a ``Rabbit in the race.|
|18||"No Such Thing as a Sure Thing"||November 25, 2009|
|After months of preparation, the jockeys are about to learn that nothing is a sure thing as they scramble to get a horse to ride in the Kentucky Derby.|
|19-20||"Nineteen Ways to Lose"||December 2, 2009|
|The Kentucky Derby arrives. Garrett, Mike and Joe prepare for the big moment while Chantal tries to score a mount aboard a horse she's ridden to Stakes victory before: Mine That Bird.|