9 November 1941 |
|Fields||Electrical Engineering, Microwaves, Optimization, CAD|
|Institutions||McMaster University, Bandler Corporation|
Born in Jerusalem, Bandler is known for his invention of space mapping technology and his contributions to device modeling, computer-aided design, microwave engineering, mathematical optimization, and yield-driven design. He has published more than 500 papers. Some of them are highly cited (see Google scholar citations).
In 2012, a special session at the IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium paid tribute to Bandler on the occasion of his 70th birthday for more than forty-five years of contributions to the field of microwave theory and techniques. In 2013, Bandler reviewed the emergence and history of space mapping in IEEE Canadian Review.
- Fellow of IEE (IET)
- Fellow of EIC
- Life Fellow of IEEE
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada
- Fellow of the Canadian Academy of Engineering
- Member of Electromagnetics Academy
- Automatic Radio Frequency Techniques Group (ARFTG) Automated Measurements Career Award (1994)
- IEEE MTT-S Microwave Application Award (2004)
- IEEE Canada A.G.L. McNaughton Gold Medal (2012)
- Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal (2012)
- IEEE MTT-S Microwave Career Award (2013)
- McMaster University's Faculty of Engineering Research Achievement Award (2014)
- “Human aspects of communication and persuasion: first impressions and subtext,” Rump Session, IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symposium (Montréal, QC, June 19, 2012). Available on IEEE.tv.
- on YouTube Public Lecture, (McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, April 11, 2013).
- on YouTube Stage Play, (Hamilton Fringe Festival, Hamilton, ON, July, 2012).
- on YouTube Stage Play, (Hamilton Fringe Festival, Hamilton, ON, July, 2014).
- on YouTube TEDx McMaster U Conference, (McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Feb. 2, 2014).
- C. Kudsia, L. Keyes, A. Stajcer, R. Douville, and M. Nakhla, "Microwave in Canada," IEEE Microwave Magazine, vol.13, no.3, pp. 87-106, 2012.
- Gary Smith, "A look at life on the Fringe," The Hamilton Spectator, July 25, 2012.
- Gary Smith, "Murder, Sherlock, sci-fi and paranoia at The Fringe," The Hamilton Spectator, July 17, 2014.
- S. Koziel and K. Madsen, "Space mapping and beyond: knowledge-driven microwave design optimization," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Digest (Montreal, QC, June 2012), pp. 1-3.
- J.E. Rayas-Sánchez, “EM-Based optimization of microwave circuits using artificial neural networks: the state-of-the-art,” IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 420-435, Jan. 2004.
- M.A. Ismail, D. Smith, A. Panariello, Y. Wang, and M. Yu, “EM-based design of large-scale dielectric-resonator filters and multiplexers by space mapping,” IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 386-392, Jan. 2004.
- M. Redhe and L. Nilsson, “Optimization of the new Saab 9-3 exposed to impact load using a space mapping technique,” Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 411-420, July 2004.
- N. Marheineke, R. Pinnau, and E. Reséndiz, “Space mapping-focused control techniques for particle dispersions in fluids,” Optimization and Engineering, vol.13, no.1, pp. 101-120, Mar. 2012.
- M.K. Banda and M. Herty, “Towards a space mapping approach to dynamic compressor optimization of gas networks,” Optimal Control Applications and Methods, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 253-269, May/June 2011.
- F. Feng, C. Zhang, V.-M.-R. Gongal-Reddy, Q.-J. Zhang, and J. Ma, “Parallel space-mapping approach to EM optimization,” IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 1135-1148, May 2014.
- R. Biernacki, S. Chen, G. Estep, J. Rousset, and J. Sifri, "Statistical analysis and yield optimization in practical RF and microwave designs," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Digest (Montreal, QC, June 2012), pp. 1-3.
- "Retrospective and outlook of microwave CAD," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Session (Montreal, QC, June 2012).
- J.W. Bandler, “Have you ever wondered about the engineer’s mysterious ‘feel’ for a problem?” IEEE Canadian Review, no. 70, pp. 50-60, Summer 2013.