John Cartwright (footballer)
||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (April 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Date of birth||5 November 1940|
|Place of birth||Brixworth, England|
|Playing position||Inside forward|
|1956–1959||West Ham United|
|1959–1961||West Ham United||4||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
John Cartwright (born 5 November 1940) is an English former professional footballer who played as an inside forward. After retiring as a player he became a coach, and has worked as academy director at Crystal Palace, youth coach at England's U18s, technical director at the English PFA and FA National School of Excellence Lilleshall and first team coach at Arsenal.
Born in Brixworth, Cartwright was a part of the Academy and youth team of West Ham United. During his time at West Ham, Cartwright played in the 1958-59 FA Youth Cup Final team, under the stewardship of Ted Fenton. It was through Fenton that Cartwright got into coaching at an early age, whilst still playing as Fenton encouraged all the players at the Academy to take their coaching badges so that after playing they had something to fall back on.
Cartwright made a four senior appearances in the Football League between 1959 and 1961 for West Ham. He then signed for Crystal Palace, making a 12 appearances in the League, before dropping out to play non-league football with Bath City.
- "Deabte: Is second-rate youth coaching hurting England? | Football". The Guardian. 2006-11-15. Retrieved 2012-11-06.
- Hillier, Roger. ". Retrieved on 2012-08-13.
- "Everton v West Ham United, 17 October 1959". Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- "Crystal Palace Player Database — John Cartwright". Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- Hugman, Barry J. (2005). The PFA Premier & Football League Players' Records 1946-2005. Queen Anne Press. ISBN 1-85291-665-6.
- Cartwright, John (2002-03-22). "The guru who is not afraid to upset the apple cart". The Telegraph. Retrieved on 2012-06-12.
- Fox, Norman (1993-11-21). "Football: Can we have our ball games back, please?: School sport is out. As Britain absorbs the impact of World Cup humiliation a crisis on our playing fields underlies a pressing need to return to basics: Norman Fox explains how national failure reflects a deeper social malaise". The Independent. Retrieved on 2012-08-13.
- Cartwright, John (2007-11-25). "England managers need direction". The Telegraph. Retrieved on 2012-08-13.
- Cartwright, John (2008). Football for the Brave. M Press (Media) Ltd. ISBN 978-095-5591-78-5.
- Post War English & Scottish Football League A - Z Player's Transfer Database