John Christopher Muran
John Christopher Muran
|Education||Hamilton College (B.A.)|
Hofstra University (Ph.D.)
University of Toronto (Fellowship)
New York University (Certificate)
|Institutions||Gordon F. Derner School of Psychology, Adelphi University Department of Psychiatry, Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai|
John Christopher Muran (born December 4, 1961 in New York) is an American clinical psychologist and psychotherapy researcher.
John Christopher Muran graduated cum laude from The Hotchkiss School in 1980 and Hamilton College in 1984. He completed a doctorate in combined professional-scientific psychology at Hofstra University in 1989. He also completed postdoctoral training in cognitive therapy at the Clarke Institute of Psychiatry (University of Toronto) in 1990 and in psychoanalysis at the New York University Postdoctoral Program in 1998.
He is a Full Professor at the Gordon F. Derner School of Psychology, Adelphi University, where he holds the appointment of Associate Dean and served as training director for the doctoral program in clinical psychology (2009-2021). He is also Principal Investigator and Director of the Brief Psychotherapy Research Program at Mount Sinai Beth Israel (since 1990), which has been supported by grants from the National Institute of Mental Health, and is on faculty at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai.
Muran's work has concentrated on the following topics: psychotherapy integration and difference, therapeutic relationship and therapeutic alliance, therapist position and experience, treatment impasse and failure, performance under pressure, theories on self, identity politics and intersubjectivity. He has published over 150 papers and 10 books, including The Therapeutic Alliance (2010; with Jacques Barber), Dialogues on Difference (2007), Self-Relations in the Psychotherapy Process (2001), and Negotiating the Therapeutic Alliance (2000; with Jeremy Safran).
Muran is a fellow of the American Psychological Association (since 2007) and serves on its Advisory Steering Committee for Clinical Treatment Guidelines. He is past-president of the international Society for Psychotherapy Research (SPR) and past-editor of its journal Psychotherapy Research. He has also served on several editorial boards, including Journal of Consulting & Clinical Psychology and Clinical Psychology: Science & Practice. He has received other honors and recognition for his accomplishments, including SPR's Distinguished Career Award.
- Muran, J.C. & Eubanks, C.F. (2020). Therapist Performance under Pressure: Negotiating Emotion, Difference & Rupture. APA Books.
- Muran, J.C., & Barber, J.P., eds. (2010). The Therapeutic Alliance: An Evidence-Based Guide to Practice. Guilford Press (Italian translation).
- Muran, J.C., ed. (2007). Dialogues on Difference: Diversity Studies on the Therapeutic Relationship. APA Books.
- Muran, J.C., ed. (2001). Self-Relations in the Psychotherapy Process. APA Books.
- Safran, J.D. & Muran, J.C. (2000). Negotiating the Therapeutic Alliance: A Relational Treatment Guide. Guilford Press (Spanish & Italian translations).
- "Dr. Elisa Ventur to Wed in February". The New York Times. November 3, 1991. Retrieved 2018-11-23.
- Muran, J. Christopher (1989). "A confirmatory factor analysis of irrational language in clinical and nonclinical samples". Hofstra University.
- "John Christopher Muran | Faculty Profiles | Adelphi University".
- "Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at Mount Sinai Beth Israel". Retrieved 2018-11-06.
- generator, metatags. "Project Information - NIH RePORTER - NIH Research Portfolio Online Reporting Tools Expenditures and Results". projectreporter.nih.gov. Retrieved 2018-11-27.
- "MSBI Clinical Psychology Internship | Icahn School of Medicine".
- "J. Christopher Muran, Ph.D.: Perfecting the Art". derner.adelphi.edu. Retrieved 2018-11-06.
- ""SCHARE"ING COGNITIONS: ON PHDS AND PUBLICATIONS" (PDF).
- Ph.D, John Christopher MuranAdelphi University | AU · Gordon F. Derner Institute of Advanced Psychological Studies 45 17 ·. "John Christopher Muran | Ph.D. | Adelphi University, New York | AU | Gordon F. Derner Institute of Advanced Psychological Studies". ResearchGate. Retrieved 2018-11-26.
- "APA Fellows". fellows.apa.org. Retrieved 2019-01-18.
- "2018 Members". Advisory Steering Committee for the Development of Clinical Practice Guidelines. Retrieved 2019-01-18.
- "Past Presidents - Society for Psychotherapy Research". www.psychotherapyresearch.org. Retrieved 2018-11-06.
- "Psychotherapy Research". www.tandfonline.com. Retrieved 2018-11-06.
- "John Christopher Muran | Faculty Profiles | Adelphi University". www.adelphi.edu. Retrieved 2018-11-06.
- "Overview of all previous award winners - Society for Psychotherapy Research". www.psychotherapyresearch.org. Retrieved 2018-11-06.
- "Alumni Accomplishments - The Hotchkiss School". www.hotchkiss.org. Retrieved 2018-11-06.
- "Andy Muran - 2018-19 Men's Squash - Cornell University".
- https://www.chu.cam.ac.uk/news/2020/feb/14/churchill-student-no-1-seed-squash-varsity/. Missing or empty