John D. Cressler
|John D. Cressler|
|Education||Ph.D. in Applied Physics (Columbia University)|
Early Life and Education
Cressler was born in 1961 and grew up in Georgia. He received his B.S. in physics from Georgia Tech in 1984, and his Ph.D. in applied physics from Columbia University in 1990. From 1984 to 1992, he was on the research staff at the IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center, and from 1992 to 2002 he served on faculty at Auburn University. In 2002, he joined the faculty at Georgia Tech, and is currently Schlumberger Chair Professor of Electronics, in the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering.
Cressler's research team at Georgia Tech primarily focuses on the advancement of silicon-germanium (SiGe) electronics, with particular application to extreme environments. He has edited and authored various technical works related to SiGe and extreme environment electronics.
John D. Cressler has authored three books related to SiGe electronics engineering, two works of non-fiction, and two novels.
- Silicon-Germanium Heterojunction Bipolar Transistors, Artech House
- The Silicon Heterostructure Handbook: Materials, Fabrication, Devices, Circuits, and Applications of SiGe and Si Strained-Layer Epitaxy, CRC Press
- Extreme Environment Electronics, CRC Press
- Silicon Earth: Introduction to the Microelectronics and Nanotechnology Revolution, Cambridge University Press
- Reinventing Teenagers: The Gentle Art of Instilling Character in Our Young People, Xlibris
- Emeralds of the Alhambra, Sunbury Press
- Shadows in the Shining City, Sunbury Press
Cressler married his wife Maria while pursuing his undergraduate degree at Georgia Tech, and the couple has three children.
- "Dr. Cressler's Georgia Tech Webpage". Retrieved 22 June 2014.
- "johndcressler.com". Retrieved 22 June 2014.
- "GT Faculty Profile". Retrieved 22 June 2014.
- "IEEE Xplore Author Search for John D. Cressler". IEEE. Retrieved 22 June 2014.
- Flynn, Laurie J. (June 20, 2006). "Researchers Say New Chip Breaks Speed Record". The New York Times. Retrieved 22 June 2014.
- "GT Cressler Page of Publications". Retrieved 22 June 2014.
- "EDS Education Committee Biography for John D. Cressler". Retrieved 22 June 2014.