John Davies (archivist)
|This article does not cite any sources. (April 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
John Davies, A.M.N.P.P.N. (July 27, 1925 – October 21, 1999) was an archivist, writer, and recipient of the prestigious Ahli Mangku Negara award. He served as Executive Officer of the National Archives of Malaysia (Arkib Negara Malaysia), Petaling Jaya between the 1961 and 1977. He was the world's leading authority on the conservation and preservation of documents during his era.
Davies was born in Parit Buntar, Perak, Malaysia to Joseph Sanghuni Nair and Marial Joseph, he was baptised as John Davies, and was of Indian Malayali Nair descent. During the Japanese occupation of Malaya in WWII Davies served as a rations officer. He later met Lord Mervyn Cecil Ffranck Sheppard (Tan Sri Mubin Sheppard), who had seen potential in Davies and offered him a junior position at the National Archives of Malaysia. Davies excelled in his profession, rose up the ranks and was promoted to Archives Executive Officer. Davies published several books and traveled overseas to England, where he studied and refined his art. Later on in his career Mr Davies was awarded the Ahli Mangku Negara award from the Raja of Selangor for his service at the Malaysian Archives. Being the worlds leading figure on the subject of preservation, he was required to lecture on many occasions throughout Asia, Europe, Australia and Africa.
During the 1980s John Davies migrated to Sydney, Australia and worked as a senior archivist at the Archives of New South Wales for several years.
Davies was married to Muriel Pavalam David. They had 7 children and 10 grandchildren.
- Microfilming of records/J. Davies. "Prepared by Mr. John Davies, A.M.N." -- Pref.[permanent dead link]
- Preservation of books and related materials/John Davies. Sydney: Archives Authority of New South Wales, 1983.[permanent dead link]
- Preventive conservation: basic conservation techniques. Sydney: Archives Authority of New South Wales, 1983.[permanent dead link]
- Preservation of Books and related materials by John Davies
- Preventive Conservation - Basic Conservation Techniques by John Davies.
- John Davies, Archives Executive Officer, National Archives of Malaysia, Petaling Jaya. 14.4.1964
- Microfilming of records / : J. Davies.
- First executive board of SARBICA 1968-1969