John J. Donovan
|John Joseph Donovan|
John J. Donovan
|Born||February 12, 1942
|Alma mater||Tufts University
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
|Occupation||Entrepreneur, Professor at MIT (Retired)|
|Known for||Entrepreneurship, Information technology, Philanthropy|
|Net worth||$100 million USD (2005)|
|Website||Professor John J. Donovan|
John J. Donovan (born 1942) is a retired professor of electrical engineering and management at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, was a professor of pediatrics at Tufts University, and is an executive training guru. In September 2010, Donovan announced that he has formed a partnership with The Andrews Institute and Baptist Health Care in Pensacola, Florida. In his press release, Donovan says Harvard Medical School Professor and Economist Thomas McGuire will undertake research regarding the medical work at the Andrews Institute. He is researching medical fraud. He is a member of Hamilton Thorne's Scientific Advisory Board. Since his MIT retirement, he has become a successful entrepreneur, founding many technology companies and amassing an estimated fortune of $100 million. He has co-founded seven public companies, including Cambridge Technology Partners and Open Environment Corporation. He developed innovative solutions for some 200 institutions, including Oracle, Boeing, American Airlines, Aegon, BP, IBM, Hewlett-Packard, Samsung and SAP.
Donovan attended Lynn English High School. He received his bachelor's degree in engineering from Tufts University. He holds two master's degrees - one in engineering and one in science, and a PhD - from Yale University. He was a Ford Postdoctoral Fellow at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).
While at MIT, Donovan received the David A. Schultz Award for Execellence in Teaching in 1969 and the Student Teaching Award for years 1970-72. In 1977, he became one of the youngest tenured professors at MIT. In 1998, Donovan retired from MIT following 31 years as a professor at the institution.
He authored multiple computer science textbooks, including Systems Programming and Operating Systems, and his research focused on early work in operating systems, databases, and later applications of IT to business. He also wrote business textbooks such as Business Re-engineering with Information Technology and Business & Technology: A Paradigm Shift. Donovan and his son John Jr. co-authored The Second Industrial Revolution.
Donovan also served as an assistant clinical professor of pediatrics at Tufts University School of Medicine. He received two awards for his work at the Center for Birth Defects. Donovan later lectured on Strategic Computing in Government while at Harvard University.
Donovan served on National Academy of Sciences Advisory Committee on Technology reporting to President Jimmy Carter. Donovan also worked with President George H. W. Bush's administration on the impact of the internet and applications for a program sponsored by DARPA.
Donovan worked with Chairman of the Joint Chief of Staff General Richard Myers to develop the Joint Protection Enterprise Network (JPEN), a system developed in response to the September 11 attacks.
Donovan started his business career by providing technical training for AT&T computer business personnel. Later courses shifted towards sales and strategy training to executives. This led to Donovan devising a method of helping companies meet their customers' needs through workshops. Key sponsors and partners of those workshops were British Telecom, Hewlett-Packard, Oracle, IBM, Digital Equipment Corporation and SAP.
These workshops were the origin of many companies, including: Cambridge Technology Group,Business@Web(which later was renamed One Wave), Open Environment Corporation, Cambridge Technology Partners,Cambridge Executive Enterprises, Cambridge Technology Enterprises, C-Bridge and CellExchange.
One of the companies Donovan co-founded, Knoware, despite winning several awards, ran out of venture money and had to file for bankruptcy. He sold Cambridge Technology Partners (CTP) for $20 million, and CTP's market capitalization soon jumped to $1.3 billion. He sold his share in Mitrol for "very little.” Mitrol was subsequently sold to GE for $10 million.
In 2010, Donovan began working with The Andrews Institute and Baptist Health Care of Pensacola as part of his technology company Cloud Industries. Donovan announced the partnership with James Andrews of the Andrews Institute and Al Stubblefield, CEO of Baptist Health Care Pensacola.
Donovan has done a lot of charity work personally and through his companies. Along with his son John Jr., Donovan established the John J. Donovan Family Scholarship at Yale University. He also estalbised a scholarship at Boston University in his father’s name with Jay-Yong Lee. In 2004, Donovan and his family donated the use of athletic fields to the town of Hamilton, Massachusetts for use in the town’s youth sports programs. Donovan has major contributions to Education Outbound, a public charity founded by his son John.
- The second industrial revolution : reinventing your business on the web
- Business re-engineering with information technology : sustaining your business advantage : an implementation guide
- Business and technology : a paradigm shift : strategic weapons and tactics for executives : handbook for implementing strategic advantage through technology
- Crisis in technology : the solution, strategic weapons and tactics for executives : handbook for implementing strategic advantage through technology
- Software projects : pedagogical aids for software education and research
- Operating Systems
- Instructor’s manual to accompany Operating Systems
- Systems Programming
- Instructor’s manual to accompany Systems Programming
In 1982, Donovan was honored by Congressman Harold Ford for contributions to the field of information technology. Donovan was appointed Kentucky Colonel and New Mexico Colonel, Aide-de-Camp for his information technology and charity work. Donovan was honored by Senator John Glenn for contributions to birth defects information systems and advancing the development of technology. Donovan holds Honorary Doctorate of Economics from University of Economics, Prague, first doctorate in economics since the 1968 invasion of Czechoslovakia.
Donovan was born in Lynn, Massachusetts to John J. Sr. and Madeline Donovan. John J. Sr. was an elementary school teacher and part-time police officer. Madeline was a social worker.
Donovan is married to Linda Donovan. He has five children. He works closely with his youngest son, John Donovan, Jr.
- "Certificate". Retrieved 23 December 2013.
- Professor of Pediatrics Appointment Letter - Tufts
- Business Wire Press Release Sept. 3, 2010 "Groundbreaking Harvard and Cloud Industries Ealth Workshop Proves "Game Changer" for Andrews Institute and Baptist Health Care.
- Community Recognizes Pomfret CoupleVermont Standard, Volume 156 - Number 36,September 11, 2009.
- Hamilton Thorne Scientific Advisory Board
- Donovan Executive Seminar Oracle
- SAP America President to Run New Company New York Times,February 1, 1996.
- Donovan Resume
- Virtual Machine Communication for the Implementation of Decision Support SystemIEEE Transactions on Software Engineering,Vol. SE-3, No. 5, September 1977
- John J. Donovan David A. Schultz Award Certificate
- John J. Donovan Tenure Letter
- "Certificate". Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- Systems programmingLibrary of Congress Online Catalogue
- Operating SystemsLibrary of Congress Online Catalogue
- Library of Congress On-line Catalogue
- Donovan Executive Seminar - About the Speaker
- Second Industrial Revolution,Library of Congress Online Catalogue
- Second Industrial RevolutionCover and Acknowledgments.
- John J. Donovan Recognition Letter From Tufts Medical School 1974
- John J. Donovan Recognition Letter From Tufts Medical School 1979
- The Oralce e-business Executive Seminar Series Brochure, www.oracle.com
- Donovan talking about JPEN FOX 25 Morning News.
- General Myers talking about JPEN on YouTube C-SPAN 2.
- Computers to help in birth defect fightAssociated Press,June 14, 1978.
- Birth defects information service begins operations at T-NEMCAssociated Press
- A project to enlist computers in battle against birth defectsSan Francisco Examiner,June 14, 1978
- New Birth Defect Computer System DemonstratedTech Talk,June 14, 1978
- AT&T - Cambridge Institute Information Systems Brochure
- Cambridge Institute for Information Systems - Staff Members - 1986
- Listening is important, but leading is the main job The Boston Globe, January 11, 2004.
- Sound Bytes: Three Careers and Counting New York Times, August 21, 1994.
- Still battling the bullies As John Donovan rolls out companies, he leaves behind both admirers and enemies The Boston Globe, June 30, 1996.
- Primix Assignment And Assumption Agreement TechAgreements, March 15, 1996.
- Tidal Wave Hits OneWaveAMR Research,June 16, 1997
- Open Environment Corporation SEC Filing 10-K405/A, October 11, 1996.
- For start-up, connections pay The Boston Globe, August 7, 2003.
- Fishing for Patterns at C-bridge by Larry Lapide,AMR Research, May 22, 2000
- Education, Expertise, and Execution Define C-Bridge by Kate Murphy and Kevin O'Marah,AMR Research,November 14, 2000
- AMENDMENT NO. 3 To FORM S-1, C-bridge Internet Solutions, Inc. SEC Archives.
- CellExchange is a company to watch
- Best Product of the MonthPersonal Software magazine, March 1984.
- Knoware ReturnsInfoWorld,August 5, 1985.
- Gulf Breeze News 2010-09-09
- Gulf Breeze article
- Gratitude letter by Department of Social Services Commissioner Jeffrey Locke
- Donovan Family ScholarshipYale University
- John J. Donovan Sr. ScholarshipBoston University
- Education Outbound Contributors
- 100 Little RemindersSalem News,2001.
- Brochure Children's Potential Unlimited
- Lowell Institute General Bulletin 1968-1969
- "The second industrial revolution : reinventing your business on the web". World Cat. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- "Business re-engineering with information technology : sustaining your business advantage : an implementation guide". World Cat. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- "Business and technology : a paradigm shift : strategic weapons and tactics for executives : handbook for implementing strategic advantage through technology". World Cat. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- "Crisis in technology : the solution, strategic weapons and tactics for executives : handbook for implementing strategic advantage through technology". World Cat. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- "Software projects : pedagogical aids for software education and research". World Cat. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- "Operating systems". World Cat. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- "Instructor's manual to accompany Operating Systems". World Cat. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- "Systems programming". World Cat. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- "Instructor's manual to accompany Systems programming". World Cat. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- Proclamation by Congressman Harold Ford
- Kentucky Colonel Appointment Letter
- Donovan Colonel Award Certificate
- Award Letter From John Glenn
- Seznam čestných doktorátů udělených VŠE v Praze v letech 1991 - 2008
- Prague University Honorary Degree
- MIT Entrepreneur Survives Execution-Style Shooting, InformationWeek, December 19, 2005
- Millionaire Indicted for Making False Shooting Claim, Associated Press, May 4, 2006
- Salem News November 6, 2010 article by Julie Manganis
- John and Linda Donovan honored at Myopia Horse ShowHamilton-Wenham Chronicle, September 24, 2009.
- Local News Salem News, September 7, 2009.
- Donovan/Sagamore Hill temporarily closedEssex County Trail Association
- Run for the Trails Muddy FunEssex County Trail Association,November 7, 2009
- Resume and brief biography on his website.
- MIT website
- Profile on list of Bermuda's rich residents.
- Hamilton Thorne's Scientific Advisory Board
- Donovan's profile on Oracle's website
- Donovan's workshop for Grand River Hospital on YouTube
- General Myers on JPEN on YouTube