John Jones (soccer)
|Full name||John Jones II|
|Date of birth||November 23, 1973|
|Place of birth||Folsom, California, United States|
|Height||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|American River College|
|1997||Los Angeles Galaxy||5||(0)|
|1997||→ Orange County Zodiac (loan)||3||(0)|
|1997||Orange County Zodiac||12||(2)|
|1998||Tampa Bay Mutiny||0||(0)|
|1999||Los Angeles Galaxy||0||(0)|
|2003||Des Moines Menace||10||(6)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
Jones graduated from Folsom High School where he scored 37 goals his senior season. Jones began his collegiate career with American River College in Sacramento, California. He broke his arm mid-way through his sophomore season which forced him to sit out the remaining games. He then transferred to Sacramento State. He later spent six months with Tahuichi Academy. Jones also played for PSC Aguias of the Central California Soccer League (CCSL).
In 1996, Jones turned professional with the expansion Sacramento Scorpions of the USISL. He was selected as First Team All-USISL. On February 2, 1997, the Los Angeles Galaxy selected Jones in the second round (nineteenth overall) of the 1997 MLS Supplemental Draft. He played five games with the Galaxy and another three on loan to the Orange County Zodiac of the USISL A-League. On July 1, 1997, the Galaxy waived Jones and he signed with the Zodiac on July 17. In February 1998, the Tampa Bay Mutiny selected Jones in the second round (twenty-fourth overall) of the 1998 MLS Supplemental Draft. Jones did not enter a first team game before being waived early in the season. On April 14, 1998, Jones signed with the Charleston Battery. On May 28, 1998, the Battery traded Jones to the Nashville Metros in exchange for Jeremy Gunn. He played seventeen games, scoring two goals for the Metros. On February 7, 1999, the Los Angeles Galaxy again selected Jones, this time in the second round (twenty-second overall) of the 1999 MLS Supplemental Draft. He played most of the season out on loan, then broke his leg in August. In 2000 and 2001, he played for the Pittsburgh Riverhounds. In 2002, he played for the Charleston Battery. In 2003, he played for the Des Moines Menace of the Premier Development League. In 2005, he played one game with the Los Angeles Galaxy reserve team. In 2006, he joined the Vancouver Whitecaps of the USL First Division.
- EX-FOLSOM STAR SCORES POINTS WITH SCORPIONS - SACRAMENTO COACH PRAISES STRIKER JOHN JONES FOR CREATIVE GOAL-PRODUCING - SKILLS IN LEAGUE DEBUT The Sacramento Bee - Sunday, May 19, 1996
- The Year in American Soccer - 1996
- 1997 MLS Supplemental Draft
- Zodiac Signs Former Galaxy Defender
- Battery picks up midfielder Jones Post and Courier, The (Charleston, SC) - Wednesday, April 15, 1998
- May 28, 1998 Transactions
- Galaxy Groovin': L.A. in good spirits while training for Cup Archived 2008-07-05 at the Wayback Machine.
- 2005 MLS Reserve stats Archived 2010-01-19 at the Wayback Machine.
- Whitecaps add depth, lock up Jones, Noreiga Archived 2012-11-08 at the Wayback Machine.