John K. Castle
|John K. Castle|
John K Castle of Castle Harlan
|Born||John K Castle|
Connolly Medical Limited
Under the auspices of John Castle, two allied companies – Castle Connolly Graduate Medical Ltd and Publishing Works Ltd. – publish study guides for doctors preparing for medical boards and newsletters focused on healthcare. The company also publishes Top Doctors and America’s Top Doctors.
With his expertise in Science, Mathematics and Economics, Castle co-founded the institutional private equity market in the late 1960s. Throughout his career, he has been the owner and controller of the following corporations: Delaware Management, Ethan Allen, Ames True Temper and several restaurant chains (including Perkins, Marie Callender's and Morton's Steakhouses. He has also served as a Director of the Equitable Life Assurance Society of the US.
In 1969 – as Chairman of DLJ's Merchant Banking and Sprout Group – Castle was a pioneer in the promotion of the use of limited partnerships as a means for pension funds and other large institutions to invest private capital into companies.
Philanthropy and awards
Castle has a Bachelor’s Degree from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and an MBA from Harvard Business School where he was a Baker Scholar with High Distinction. He has been awarded four Honorary Doctorate degrees of Humane Letters. One was from Franklin Pierce University.
Palm Beach Residence
In 1995, Castle purchased and restored the Palm Beach estate formerly-owned by the Kennedy family (best known as John F. Kennedy’s Winter White House). In May 2015, Castle and his wife, Marianne, sold the estate for $31 million to TGS Florida LLC, managed by Jane H. Goldman of New York.
- Mercedes M., Cardona. "Buy-Out Firm Likes the Traditional Path: Castle Harlan Sticks to Basic Philosophy". Pensions & Investments. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- "Finding the Best Doctors". Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- "WHO WE ARE The people behind America's Top Doctors". Castle Connolly. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- "Alumni & Friends Profile". MIT Department of Physics.
- "John Castle Biography" (PDF). ACG. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- "John K. Castle Elected CEO At Donaldson, Lufkin & Jenrette". Associated Press. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- Gilpin, Kenneth. "BUSINESS PEOPLE; Donaldson Executive Chosen". The New York Times. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- Wayne, Leslie. "The Rise and Fall of the Big Breakup Deals". The New York Times. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- "Q&A Part II – Interview with John K. Castle, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Castle Harlan, Inc". ACG New York. Retrieved 25 October 2017.
- Krob, Jake. "Castle named a 'Happy Warrior'". Marion Times. Retrieved 25 October 2017.
- "Alumni & Friends Profile". MIT Department of Physics. Retrieved 25 October 2017.
- John Castle: Advisory Group Member. East West NGO http://www.eastwest.ngo/profile/john-castle. Retrieved 22 March 2016. Missing or empty
- "Franklin Pierce University's 2014 Commencement Shines!". Franklin Pierce University. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- "The Kennedys Give up a Beachhead". Bloomberg. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- Bandell, Brian. "Winter White House: Former Kennedy estate in Palm Beach sold for $31M". BizJournals. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- "Wedding Days". New York Social Diary. Archived from the original on March 6, 2016. Retrieved 22 March 2016.