May 16, 1989 |
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
|Height||6 ft 2 in (188 cm)|
|Weight||209 lb (95 kg; 14 st 13 lb)|
John Kurtz (born May 16, 1989) is a Canadian professional ice hockey forward. Kurtz currently plays for the Belfast Giants in the UK EIHL. He previously played with the Syracuse Crunch in the American Hockey League (AHL).
Prior to turning professional, Kurtz played four seasons of major junior hockey in the Ontario Hockey League with the Windsor Spitfires and Sudbury Wolves. For his play during the 2009–10 OHL season, Kurtz was unanimously selected to receive the Mickey Renaud Captain's Trophy as the “OHL team captain that best exemplifies leadership on and off the ice, with a passion and dedication to the game of hockey and his community”.
Immediately following the conclusion of his final OHL season, Kurtz began his professional career with the Syracuse Crunch, joining the AHL team for their closing games of the 2009–10 AHL season. Kurtz was later signed to a one-year entry level contract with NHL affiliate, the Anaheim Ducks on April 10, 2013.
After two seasons within the Ducks organization, Kurtz left as a free agent and later accepted an invitation to the Vancouver Canucks training camp on a professional try-out contract on September 11, 2015. On February 23, 2016, Kurtz signed a professional tryout contract with the Toronto Marlies of the AHL, where he played out the season with 4 points in 14 games.
Un-signed over the following summer, Kurtz belatedly signed a contract for the 2016–17 season, in agreeing to a return with the Norfolk Admirals, now of the ECHL on November 10, 2016. He appeared in 26 games with 14 points before he was signed to a professional try-ou deal in a second stint with the Syracuse Crunch. On March 18, 2017, Kurtz was signed by the Crunch to a standard playing contract for the remainder of the campagin.
Awards and honours
|Mickey Renaud Captain's Trophy||2009–10|||
- "Wolves’ John Kurtz is Recipient of the Mickey Renaud Captain’s Trophy". Ontario Hockey League. 2010-03-04. Retrieved 2010-03-04.
- "Kurtz Moves On". Canada.com. 2010-04-01. Retrieved 2010-04-01.
- "Week Twenty Eight: Crunchables". OurSportsCentral.com. 2010-04-01. Retrieved 2010-04-01.
- "Ducks sign Kurtz to entry-level contract". Anaheim Ducks. 2013-04-10. Retrieved 2013-04-10.
- "Vancouver Canucks training camp roster" (PDF). Vancouver Canucks. 2015-09-11. Retrieved 2015-09-11.
- "Admirals welcom Kurtz return". Twitter. 2016-11-10. Retrieved 2016-11-10.
- "Syracuse Crunch sign Kevin Lynch, John Kurtz to contracts". Syracuse Crunch. 2017-03-18. Retrieved 2017-03-18.
- "Wolves' John Kurtz Wins Mickey Renaud Captain's Trophy". Ontario Hockey League. 2010-04-01. Retrieved 2010-04-01.
- John Kurtz career statistics at EliteProspects.com
- John Kurtz career statistics at The Internet Hockey Database
|This biographical article relating to a Canadian ice hockey winger born in the 1980s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|