John Swinton of Kimmerghame
|Sir John Swinton of Kimmerghame|
|Born||21 April 1925|
|Years of service||1944–79|
|Commands held||London District
|Battles/wars||Second World War
|Awards||Knight Commander of the Royal Victorian Order
Officer of the Order of the British Empire
Mentioned in Despatches
|Spouse(s)||Judith Balfour Killen (m. 1954; d. 2012)|
|Relations||Tilda Swinton (daughter)|
Major General Sir John Swinton of Kimmerghame, KCVO, OBE, DL (born 21 April 1925) is a retired senior British Army officer who served as Major-General commanding the Household Division and General Officer Commanding London District from 1976 until his retirement in 1979.
Family and military background
Swinton is the son of Brigadier Alan Henry Campbell Swinton of Kimmerghame, MC (born 15 March 1896) and wife, Mariora Beatrice Evelyn Rochfort Alers-Hankey (born 1900). His paternal grandfather was Scottish politician and officer-of-arms George Swinton. The Swinton family is an ancient Anglo-Scots family that can trace its lineage to the High Middle Ages.
Swinton was commissioned into the Scots Guards in 1944, and was twice wounded towards the end of the Second World War. He also served in Malaya during the Indonesia–Malaysia confrontation and was mentioned in despatches. He was promoted to major general and made Major-General commanding the Household Division and General Officer Commanding London District in 1976. He retired in 1979.
He married the Australian-born Judith Balfour Killen (1929–2012) on 26 August 1954; they have three sons – James Christopher Swinton, Alexander Harold Swinton and Lieutenant Colonel William Henry Swinton – and one daughter – the actress Tilda Swinton.
- The Peerage.com
- Dewar, Peter Beauclerk, Burke's Landed Gentry of Great Britain – The Kingdom in Scotland, 19th edition, vol.1, Wilmington, Delaware, 2001, p.1317. ISBN 0-9711966-0-5
- Tilda Swinton Biography
- "SWINTON: Chart 2B, Sheet 2." Swinton Family Society.org.
- Tilda Swinton, one of our most unique actors, talks to Gaby Wood | Magazine | The Observer
- The London Gazette: . 16 May 1944. Retrieved 2010-06-13.
- Thieves startled by general's roar The Herald, 9 April 1997
- The London Gazette: . 24 April 1951. Retrieved 2010-06-13.
- The London Gazette: . 12 October 1976. Retrieved 2010-06-13.
- The London Gazette: . 10 December 1979. Retrieved 2010-06-13.
- The London Gazette: . 28 July 1980. Retrieved 2010-06-13.
- The London Gazette: . 9 October 1989. Retrieved 2010-06-13.
- Bell. "The decisions of the Court of Session: from its first institution to the present time : digested under proper heads, in the form of a dictionary, Volume 13". 1803 - Scotland. Court of Session, William Maxwell Morison. Retrieved 21 October 2016.
(Page 10264) ....Lady Kimmerghame.....Laird of Kimmerghame...
Sir Philip Ward
|GOC London District
Sir Desmond Langley