|Member of the Pennsylvania Senate
from the 14th district
January 4, 2011
|Preceded by||Ray Musto|
|Member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives
from the 119th district
January 5, 1999 – November 30, 2010
|Preceded by||Stanley Jarolin|
|Succeeded by||Gerald Mullery|
May 1, 1970 |
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, United States
|Residence||Plymouth Township, Pennsylvania|
|Alma mater||Penn State University|
John T. Yudichak (born May 1, 1970) is a Democratic member of the Pennsylvania State Senate, representing the 14th District since 2011. The district includes parts of Carbon, Luzerne, and Monroe Counties. He previously served in the Pennsylvania House of Representatives from 1999 to 2010.
John Yudichak was born in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, to Joseph and Sarah Yudichak. He graduated from Nanticoke Area High School in 1988, and attended Wyoming Seminary for one year before transferring to the Pennsylvania State University. He earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in English in 1993. Yudichak and his wife, Heather, have four daughters: Sarah, Anna, Evelyn, and Grace.
Yudichak worked as an intern for U.S. Representative Paul E. Kanjorski before serving as director of development at the Osterhout Free Library in Wilkes-Barre. In 1996, he unsuccessfully challenged incumbent Stanley Jarolin for the Democratic nomination for the 119th District in the Pennsylvania House of Representatives, losing by 600 votes. However, he ran for the nomination again in 1998, and defeated Jarolin by more than 800 votes. In the general election, he defeated Republican Jean Sepling. He received a Master of Arts degree in American Studies from Penn State in 2004.
Yudichak was elected to the State Senate in 2010. He easily won the Democratic nomination for the 14th District seat (being vacated by Democratic incumbent Ray Musto) when he defeated Wilkes-Barre mayor Tom Leighton by a 2 to 1 margin in the May 18, 2010 primary. Yudichak won the general election on November 2, 2010, defeating Luzerne County Commissioner Stephen Urban.
- "SESSION OF 1999 - 183D OF THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY - No. 1" (PDF). Legislative Journal. Pennsylvania House of Representatives. 1999-01-05.
- "District Map". State Senator John T. Yudichak.
- "Pennsylvania Manual" (PDF). Pennsylvania Department of General Services.
- "About Me". State Senator John T. Yudichak.
- "John T. Yudichak". Pennsylvania State Senate.
- Filaroski, P. Douglas (1998-05-17). "119TH REVEALS TALES OF 3 CANDIDATES". The Times Leader.
- Morrison, Mitch (1996-02-27). "KANJORSKI'S DAM PROJECT DEFLATING A DEMOCRATIC STATE SENATOR AND HIS GOP COUNTERPART SAY THEY WON'T ASK GOV. RIDGE TO CHANGE HIS MIND ON FUNDING FOR THE CONGRESSMAN'S PROPOSED PROJECT". The Times Leader.
- Filaroski, P. Douglas (1998-05-20). "YUDICHAK ENDS JAROLIN'S REIGN". The Times Leader.
- Pennsylvania Senate - John Yudichak (Democrat) official PA Senate website
- Pennsylvania Senate Democratic Caucus - John Yudichak official Party website