Johnny Dixon (series)
Johnny Dixon is a fictional American boy featured in a series of twelve children's gothic horror novels, 1983 to 1999, written by John Bellairs or his successor Brad Strickland. In each book, 13-year-old Johnny and his group of friends face and overcome evil forces usually bent on ending the world. Alternatively, Johnny Dixon is the book series ("Johnny Dixon and the Professor" in ISFDB).
The series is set in the early 1950s. Johnny lives with his paternal grandparents in fictional Duston Heights, Massachusetts; his mother died of cancer some time prior to the beginning of the series, and his father is a fighter pilot in the United States Air Force during the Korean War. Johnny's best friend, history professor Roderick Childermass, lives across the street. In "The Mummy, the Will and the Crypt", Johnny meets a boy his own age, Byron Q. "Fergie" Ferguson, at a Boy Scout camp. Thenceforth, Johnny, Fergie, and Professor Childermass (who is typically referred to as simply "the professor") are the three principal characters of the series.
Novels in Johnny Dixon series
- The Curse of the Blue Figurine (1983)
- The Mummy, the Will, and the Crypt (1983)
- The Spell of the Sorcerer's Skull (1984)
- The Revenge of the Wizard's Ghost (1985)
- The Eyes of the Killer Robot (1986)
- The Trolley to Yesterday (1989)
- The Chessmen of Doom (1989)
- The Secret of the Underground Room (1990)
- The Drum, the Doll, and the Zombie (1994)
- The Hand of the Necromancer (1996)
- The Bell, the Book, and the Spellbinder (1997)
- The Wrath of the Grinning Ghost (1999)
|01||The Curse of the Blue Figurine||May||1983||12||200||John Bellairs||Edward Gorey|
|02||The Mummy, the Will, and the Crypt||Nov||1983||16||168||John Bellairs||Edward Gorey|
|03||The Spell of the Sorcerer's Skull||Nov||1984||11||170||John Bellairs||Edward Gorey|
|04||The Revenge of the Wizard's Ghost||Nov||1985||15||147||John Bellairs||Edward Gorey|
|05||The Eyes of the Killer Robot||Oct||1986||17||167||John Bellairs||Edward Gorey|
|06||The Trolley to Yesterday||Jul||1989||18||183||John Bellairs||Edward Gorey|
|07||The Chessmen of Doom||Nov||1989||16||155||John Bellairs||Edward Gorey|
|08||The Secret of the Underground Room||Mar||1990||13||127||John Bellairs||Edward Gorey|
|09||The Drum, the Doll, and the Zombie||Sep||1994||15||153||coauthors||Edward Gorey|
|10||The Hand of the Necromancer||Sep||1996||18||168||Brad Strickland||Edward Gorey|
|11||The Bell, the Book, and the Spellbinder||Oct||1997||16||149||Brad Strickland||Edward Gorey|
|12||The Wrath of the Grinning Ghost||Sep||1999||15||166||Brad Strickland||Edward Gorey|
- One Johnny Dixon book was outlined by Bellairs and completed by Strickland.
- Bell, Bob: "Bellairs' Book Fast-Paced Thriller", Edmonton Journal, November 12, 1986.
- "BookPicks: Kids' Books", Herald-Journal, May 12, 2004.
- Clendineng, Sarah: "What's Happening @ Your Library: Halloween Reads", Fort Madison Daily Democrat, October 24, 2007.
- Johnny Dixon and the Professor series listing at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database (ISFDB). Retrieved 2015-08-17. Select a title to see its linked publication history and general information. Select a particular edition (title) for more data at that level, such as a front cover image or linked contents.
- Bellairs, John. The Curse of the Blue Figurine. Dial Books for Young Readers, 1983. ISBN 0803712650
- Bellairs, John. The Mummy, the Will, and the Crypt. Dial Books for Young Readers, 1983. ISBN 0803700296
- Bellairs, John. The Spell of the Sorcerer's Skull. Dial Books for Young Readers, 1984. ISBN 0803701209
- Bellairs, John. The Revenge of the Wizard's Ghost. Dial Books for Young Readers, 1985. ISBN 0803701705
- Bellairs, John. The Eyes of the Killer Robot. Dial Books for Young Readers, 1986. ISBN 0803703244
- Bellairs, John. The Trolley to Yesterday. Dial Books for Young Readers, 1989. ISBN 0803705816
- Bellairs, John. The Chessmen of Doom. Dial Books for Young Readers, 1989. ISBN 0803707509
- Bellairs, John. The Secret of the Underground Room. Dial Books for Young Readers, 1990. ISBN 0803708645
- Bellairs, John. Completed by Brad Strickland. The Drum, the Doll, and the Zombie. Dial Books for Young Readers, 1994. ISBN 0803714629
- Strickland, Brad. The Hand of the Necromancer. Dial Books for Young Readers, 1996. ISBN 0803718292
- Strickland, Brad. The Bell, the Book, and the Spellbinder. Dial Books for Young Readers, 1997. ISBN 0803718314
- Strickland, Brad. The Wrath of the Grinning Ghost. Dial Books for Young Readers, 1999. ISBN 0803722222