Early life and education
In the 1970s, he was an associate editor of Crawdaddy!, where he published his first works (outside school publications); and in the 1980s, an associate editor at Rolling Stone and the music editor at The Village Voice. He started contributing to The Times in 1982. He reviews popular music in the arts section of The Times.
- Pareles, Jon; Romanowski, Patricia, eds. (1983). The Rolling Stone Encyclopedia of Rock & Roll. London: Rolling Stone. ISBN 978-0-718-12400-7.
- J. E. P. (November 2008). "Pareles, Jon". Current Biography. H. W. Wilson Company. 69 (11): 75–78. ISSN 0011-3344. EBSCOhost 35487780. Retrieved October 7, 2014.
- Ask a report: Jon Pareles, Music Critic. The New York Times.
- Hay, Carla (March 20, 2004). "Meet the Critics". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. 116 (12): 1, 88. ISSN 0006-2510. Retrieved October 6, 2014.
- Ward, Steven (July 2001). "The Grey Lady's Pop Music Man: Jon Pareles in Conversation". rockcritics.com. Retrieved August 8, 2014.