Jonas Fjeld, March 29, 2009.
|Birth name||Terje Lillegård Jensen|
24 September 1952 |
Jonas Fjeld (born Terje Lillegård Jensen; 24 September 1952 in Bodø, Norway) is a Norwegian singer, songwriter, and guitarist. He is best known in the English-speaking world for two albums recorded by Danko/Fjeld/Andersen, a collaboration with Canadian Rick Danko of The Band and American singer-songwriter Eric Andersen. Fjeld also recorded three albums with the American bluegrass group Chatham County Line.
Fjeld took his stage name from the principal character of a series of novels written by Øvre Richter Frich. Although he was born in Bodø, he moved with his family to Drammen, Norway when he was a child.
Fjeld's first recording contract was with the Jonas Fjeld Rock 'n' Rolf Band, a comedy band which included Herodes Falsk, in 1972. He switched to acoustic folk after listening to Eric Andersen's album Blue River. His first solo album, Take Two Asprins and Call Me in the Morning, was released in 1975. The album Svært nok for meg (Big Enough for Me), released in 1990, went gold in Norway. It included Engler i sneen (Angels in the Snow), a duet with Lynni Treekrem.
Fjeld was introduced to Rick Danko by Andersen in 1990. Danko, Fjeld, and Anderson started doing concerts in September 1990, and recorded the eponymous Danko/Fjeld/Andersen album in Norway in 1991. This album included a bilingual version of Engler i sneen (Angels in the Snow) and two more songs co-written by Fjeld, When Morning Comes to America and Blue Hotel.
Fjeld was introduced to Chatham County Line in 2005, and was sufficiently impressed with them to invite them to Norway for some concerts. Fjeld and Chatham County Line have toured together, and recorded two albums, both of which went gold in Norway.
Jonas Fjeld Rock 'n' Rolf Band
- Jonas Fjeld Rock 'n' Rolf Band (1973)
- Pans Fløyte (1974)
- The Best of Jonas Fjeld Rock'n'Rolf Band (1974)
- Endelig (Uff, ikke nå igjen) (1976)
Jonas Fjeld Band
- Tennessee Tapes (1977)
- Back in the USA (1978)
- Make up (1979)
- Neck n' Neck (1984)
- Time and Motion (1985)
Jonas Fjeld (solo album)
- Take Two Aspirins and Call Me in the Morning (1975)
- Jonas Fjeld's beste (1977)
- Living for the Weekend (1983)
- Neonlys på Wergeland (with Ingrid Bjoner and Ola B. Johannessen)
- Etterlatte sanger (with Sidsel Endresen)
- Svært nok for meg (1990)
- Texas Jensen (1992)
- Nerven i min sang (1994) (live)
- Beste (1999) (greatest hits)
- Voice on the Water (2000)
- Tidevann (2001)
- 50 fra før - 1973-83 (2002)
- Mårrakvist (2006)
- Den gamle veien (2009) (with Henning Kvitnes)
- Hjemmeseier (2011)
- De beste - 60 år i livet, 40 år på veien (2012)
Danko Fjeld Andersen
with Chatham County Line
To Rustne Herrer
- Hank Williams på Norsk (1995)
- Boehm, Mike (14 October 1993). "Rick Danko, Jonas Fjeld, Eric Andersen, "Danko/Fjeld/Andersen"". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 7 October 2011.
- "(Dancin' to the) Rock 'n' Rolf". YouTube. Retrieved 10 October 2011.
- Caffin, Carol (15 June 2007). "A Conversation with Jonas Fjeld". Band Bites. Retrieved 10 October 2011.
- "Engler i sneen". YouTube. Retrieved 10 October 2011.
- Kearns, Kathleen (January 2011). "Chatham County Line". Our State North Carolina. Retrieved 10 October 2011.
- Birchmeier, Jason. "Jonas Fjeld Biography". Billboard. Retrieved 10 October 2011.