This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Jonathan Caren is a playwright and TV writer. Jon’s plays have been seen or developed at The Manhattan Theatre Club, Roundabout Theatre Company, Primary Stages, Ensemble Studio Theatre, The Rattlestick, The New Group, Williamstown Theater Festival, Ars Nova, Keen Company, The IAMA Theatre Company, Woodshed, The Berkshire Playwrights Lab, The Lark, New York Stage and Film, The Jewish Plays Project, Partial Comfort, The Samuel French OOB Festival, and The Old Vic in London through the T.S. Eliot UK/US exchange. They include Need to Know (Colt Coeur, Rogue Machine), The Recommendation (IAMA, The Flea, The Old Globe, Craig Noel Award for Best New Play, Ovation Award for Best New Play, NAACP nomination), Catch The Fish (Most Outstanding Play, NY Fringe), A View of The Canyon (workshops at IAMA, Williamstown) and Ruby Horse Thief (workshop at Primary Stages).
He is a member of the Primary Stages Dorothy Strelsin New American Writers Group, a MacDowell Colony Fellow, a Dramatist Guild Fellow, a winner of New York Stage and Film Founder’s Award, a fellowship recipient of SPACE at Ryder Farm, a two-time Lecomte du Nouy award winner, and a recipient of the Theater Publicus Prize for Dramatic Fiction. Additionally, he was a finalist for the Laurents/Hatcher Award and a nominee for the Otis Guerney New American Playwright’s Award.
In television and film, Jon is has written for ABC's a million little things, NBC’s “RISE,” executive produced by Jason Katims, and he was recently an Executive Story Editor on Netflix’s new original drama “Gypsy,” starring Naomi Watts. He’s written pilots for FOX and CBS with frequent collaborator Jason Winer and is currently in development with Bill Lawrence. His first credit was writing for the CW’s "Melrose Place" reboot. His original play The Morning The Sun Fell Down was adapted into a feature by Choice Films, starring Danny Pudi and will be released in 2018.
He is a graduate of Juilliard’s Lila Acheson Wallace American Playwrights Program and Vassar College where he studied mythology and religion. He originally hails from Los Angeles and once catered Tom Cruise’s birthday.
- Rocha, Michael James. "'An Iliad' takes home 5 Craig Noel Awards". sandiegouniontribune.com. Retrieved 15 August 2017.
- "Before She Was a Scandal Star, Katie Lowes Saved Her Acting Career By Founding IAMA | Playbill". Playbill. Retrieved 15 August 2017.
- "GYPSY - Season One • Frame Rated". Frame Rated. 19 July 2017. Retrieved 15 August 2017.
- "AFTER THE SUN FELL OFFICIAL WEBSITE". AFTER THE SUN FELL OFFICIAL WEBSITE. Retrieved 2 July 2017.
- Desk, BWW News. "Iama Theatre Company presents Workshop Production of THE HOUSE THAT JAKE BUILT". BroadwayWorld.com. Retrieved 15 August 2017.
- "Theater review: 'The Recommendation' at the Old Globe". LA Times. LA Times. Retrieved 17 February 2015.