Jonathan Katz (computer scientist)
|Alma mater||BS MIT, 1996
Ph.D. Columbia University, 2002
|Institutions||University of Maryland|
|Doctoral advisor||Zvi Galil and Moti Yung|
Jonathan Katz is a professor in the Department of Computer Science at the University of Maryland College of Computer, Mathematical, and Natural Sciences where he conducts research on cryptography and cybersecurity. In 2013 he became director of the Maryland Cybersecurity Center at the University of Maryland.
Katz received BS degrees in mathematics and chemistry from MIT in 1996, followed by a master's degree in chemistry from Columbia University in 1998. After transferring to the computer science department, he received M.Phil. and PhD degrees in computer science from Columbia University in 2001 and 2002, respectively. While in graduate school, he worked as a research scientist at Telcordia Technologies (now ACS). He has been on the faculty of the University of Maryland since 2002.
He has held visiting positions at UCLA, IBM T.J. Watson Research Center, and the Ecole Normale Superieure. He was a member of the DARPA Computer Science Study Group in 2009-2010. He also works as a consultant in the fields of cryptography and computer security.
He received the Humboldt Research Award to support collaborative research with colleagues in Germany during 2015.
Katz has worked on various aspects of cryptography, computer security, and theoretical computer science. His doctoral thesis was on designing protocols secure against man-in-the-middle attacks, most notably describing an efficient protocol for password-based authenticated key exchange. He has also worked in the areas of secure multi-party computation, public-key encryption, and digital signatures. He has served on the program committees of numerous conferences, and is currently an editor of the Journal of Cryptology, the premier journal of the field.
- Jonathan Katz and Yehuda Lindell (2007). Introduction to Modern Cryptography. Chapman and Hall. ISBN 978-1584885511. According to WorldCat, the book is held in 310 libraries. The second edition of this book was published in 2014.
- Jonathan Katz (2010). Digital Signatures. Springer. ISBN 978-0387277110. According to WorldCat, the book is held in 348 libraries
- Coeditor with Moti Yung of Applied Cryptography and Network Security: 5th International Conference, ACNS 2007, Zhuhai, China, June 5–8, 2007 : Proceedings. Berlin: Springer, 2007.
- "Maryland Cybersecurity Center |". Cyber.umd.edu. Retrieved 2014-04-21.
- "CS Faculty | UMD Department of Computer Science". Cs.umd.edu. Retrieved 2014-04-21.
- "Meet the University of Maryland's new director of cyber security".
- "Katz Named Director of Maryland Cybersecurity Center | UMD Right Now :: University of Maryland". Umdrightnow.umd.edu. 2013-10-24. Retrieved 2014-04-21.
- Hardy, Michael (2010-07-16). "DARPA seeks applicants for Computer Science Study Group". Defense Systems. Retrieved 2014-04-21.
- "Humboldt Research Award".
- Efficient and secure authenticated key exchange using weak passwords. Jonathan Katz, Rafail Ostrovsky, and Moti Yung. Journal of the ACM 57 (2009)
- Complete Fairness in Secure Two-Party Computation. S. Dov Gordon, Carmit Hazay, Jonathan Katz, and Yehuda Lindell. Journal of the ACM 58 (2011)
- Chosen-Ciphertext Security from Identity-Based Encryption. Dan Boneh, Ran Canetti, Shai Halevi, and Jonathan Katz. SIAM J. Computing 36(5):1301-1328 (2007)
- Efficient Signature Schemes with Tight Reductions to the Diffie-Hellman Problems. Eu-Jin Goh, Stanislaw Jarecki, Jonathan Katz, and Nan Wang. Journal of Cryptology 20(4):493-514 (2007)
- "Journal of Cryptology Editorial Board". Iacr.org. Retrieved 2014-04-21.
- "Introduction to Modern Cryptography". Cs.umd.edu. Retrieved 2014-04-21.
- "Introduction to modern cryptography (Book, 2008)". [WorldCat.org]. 2009-08-24. Retrieved 2014-04-21.
- "Digital signatures (eBook, 2006)". [WorldCat.org]. 2011-08-29. Retrieved 2014-04-21.
- "Applied cryptography and network security : 5th international conference, ACNS 2007, Zhuhai, China, June 5-8, 2007 : proceedings (Book, 2007)". [WorldCat.org]. Retrieved 2014-04-21.