||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2010)|
Jonathan Simon Christopher Riley-Smith, GCStJ, FRHistS (born 27 June 1938) is a historian of the Crusades, and a former Dixie Professor of Ecclesiastical History. He is a Fellow of Emmanuel College, Cambridge.
He was a founder of the Society for the Study of the Crusades and the Latin East. He is also a Knight of Grace and Devotion of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta and a Bailiff Grand Cross of the Most Venerable Order of the Hospital of Saint John of Jerusalem.
He is married to Louise Riley-Smith. His children are Toby Riley-Smith, Tamsin Riley-Smith, and Hippolyta Paulusma. His grand-children are: Ben Phelps, Heloise Riley-Smith, Lily Phelps, Valentine Paulusma, Madeleine Riley-Smith, Corentine Paulusma and Joscelin Riley-Smith.
- The Knights of St John in Jerusalem and Cyprus, c.1050-1310 (London, Macmillan, 1967 repr. 2002)
- Ayyubids, Mamlukes and Crusaders. Selections from the Tarikh al-Duwal wa'l Muluk of Ibn al-Furat (with Ursula and Malcolm C. Lyons), 2 vols. (Cambridge, Heffer, 1971)
- The Feudal Nobility and the Kingdom of Jerusalem, 1174-1277 (London, Macmillan, 1973 repr 2002)
- What Were the Crusades? (London, Macmillan, 1977 2nd edition 1992 3rd edition Basingstoke, Palgrave, 2002)
- The Crusades: Idea and Reality, 1095-1274 (with Louise Riley-Smith) (London, Edward Arnold, 1981)
- The First Crusade and the Idea of Crusading (London and Philadelphia, Athlone/ University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986, paperback US 1990, UK 1993)
- The Crusades: A Short History -London and New Haven, Athlone/ Yale University Press, 1987, also in paperback) � (translated into French, Italian and Polish)
- The Atlas of the Crusades (editor) (London and New York, Times Books/ Facts on File, 1991) - (translated into German and French)
- The Oxford Illustrated History of the Crusades (editor) (Oxford,Oxford University Press, 1995, paperback 1997) � (now reissued as The Oxford History of the Crusades, paperback, 1999) - (translated into Russian, German and Polish)
- Cyprus and the Crusades (editor, with Nicholas Coureas) (Nicosia, Society for the Study of the Crusades and the Latin East and Cyprus Research Centre, 1995)
- Montjoie: Studies in Crusade History in Honour of Hans Eberhard Mayer (editor, with Benjamin Z. Kedar and Rudolf Hiestand) (Aldershot, Variorum, 1997)
- The First Crusaders, 1095-1131 (Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1997, paperback 1998, 2000)
- Hospitallers: The History of the Order of St. John (London, The Hambledon Press, 1999, also in paperback)
- Al seguito delle Crociate Rome (Di Renzo: Dialoghi � Uomo e Societΰ), 2000
- Dei gesta per Francos: Etudes sur les croisades dιdiιes ΰ Jean Richard (editor, with M.Balard and B.Z.Kedar) Aldershot (Ashgate), 2001
- The Crusades, Christianity, and Islam (Columbia University Press, 2008)
- Andy Soltis; Richard Johnson (5 May 2005). "Knight Clubbing - Historians' Jihad Vs. 'Heaven'". New York Post. Retrieved 25 December 2010.
- London Gazette