David Maxwell (historian)
|Dixie Professor of Ecclesiastical History
University of Cambridge
|Preceded by||Jonathan Riley-Smith|
|Born||David James Maxwell
8 December 1963
Bushey, Hertfordshire, England
|Alma mater||University of Manchester
St Antony's College, Oxford
David James Maxwell (born 8 December 1963) is a British historian and academic, specialising in the missionary movement and Christianity in Africa. He is the Dixie Professor of Ecclesiastical History at the University of Cambridge and Professorial Fellow of Emmanuel College.
Maxwell was born on 8 December 1963 in Bushey, Hertfordshire, England. He studied history at the University of Manchester, graduating with a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree in 1986. He went on to undertake postgraduate research in African History at St Antony's College, Oxford, and graduated with a Doctor of Philosophy (DPhil) degree in 1994. His doctoral thesis was titled "A social and conceptual history of North-East Zimbabwe, 1890–1990".
While completing his doctorate, Maxwell was a fellow of the Social Anthropology Department, University of Manchester. In 1994, he joined Keele University as a Lecturer in International History. In 2007, he was promoted to Professor of African History. He was an elected Member of the Senate of Keele University for the 2009 to 2010 academic year. In 2011, he left Keele to join the University of Cambridge. At Cambridge, he is the Dixie Professor of Ecclesiastical History and is a professorial fellow of Emmanuel College.
Maxwell was editor of the Journal of Religion in Africa from 1998 to 2005. He was Vice-President of the African Studies Association of the UK from 2012 to 2014 and President from 2014 to 2016. He is a member of the editorial board of The Journal of Ecclesiastical History.
- "Religious Encounters and the Making of Modern Africa". University of Copenhagen. Archived from the original on 14 July 2014. Retrieved 8 June 2014.
- 'MAXWELL, Prof. David James', Who's Who 2017, A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc, 2017; online edn, Oxford University Press, 2016; online edn, Nov 2016 accessed 30 Aug 2017
- "Professor David Maxwell". Faculty of History. University of Cambridge. Retrieved 8 June 2014.
- "Professor David Maxwell". Emmanuel College, Cambridge. University of Cambridge. Retrieved 8 June 2014.
- "Audrey Richards prize for the best doctoral thesis in African Studies". African Studies Association of the UK. 5 June 2014. Archived from the original on 9 April 2014. Retrieved 8 June 2014.
- Maxwell, David (1999). Christians and chiefs in Zimbabwe: a social history of the Hwesa people c. 1870s – 1990s. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press. p. 280. ISBN 9780748611300.
- "MEETING OF SENATE". Keele University. 7 October 2009. Archived from the original on 14 July 2014. Retrieved 8 June 2014.
- "Goodbye to Three Professors". Keele University. Retrieved 8 June 2014.
- "ASAUK COUNCIL 2012–2013". African Studies Association of the UK. Archived from the original on 9 April 2014. Retrieved 8 June 2014.
- "Editorial Board". The Journal of Ecclesiastical History. Retrieved 8 June 2014.