José Ortiz Bernal
|Full name||José Ortiz Bernal|
|Date of birth||4 August 1977|
|Place of birth||Almería, Spain|
|Height||1.72 m (5 ft 8 in)|
|Playing position||Attacking midfielder|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
Ortíz was born in Almería, Andalusia. After beginning playing professionally for hometown's UD Almería (then in the third division), he served an uneventful stint abroad, appearing one season with Italy's Ravenna Calcio.
Upon his return to Almería, Ortiz helped the side achieve promotion to the second level in 2002, scoring five goals in the following season, notably a brace against neighbours Xerez CD in a 6–0 home routing. He played with the club in every professional level, starting in division four.
Ortiz, who was the undisputed team captain when in the starting XI, finished as Almería's third-best scorer in the 2006–07 season as it achieved a first ever La Liga promotion. He netted ten goals (behind only Albert Crusat and Míchel), subsequently playing in 24 games in the following campaign, mainly as a substitute.
On 3 January 2010, having only played five minutes, Ortiz scored his only goal of the season, a last-minute winner which was the only in the home fixture against neighbours Xerez as both sides struggled immensely in the league; Almería had just recently fired manager Hugo Sánchez, but the player's role remained obscure under new boss Juan Manuel Lillo (he totalled 17 appearances, all from the bench, in only 226 minutes).
In 2010–11, Ortiz repeated individual numbers – 16 league matches, none as a starter – and Almería returned to the second division after a four-year stay. The 35-year-old was released in June 2012, after his contract was not renewed.
- Emotivo homenaje póstumo a Francisco Sáez (Tearful posthumous homage to Francisco Sáez); UD Almería, 4 February 2012 (in Spanish)
- El número '10' menos utilizado de la División de Plata (The least played #10 in the Silver Division); Marca, 18 April 2012 (in Spanish)
- Winning start for new boss Lillo; ESPN Soccernet, 3 January 2010
- Ortiz Bernal no continuará como jugador del Almería, pero el club le deja las puertas abiertas (Ortiz Bernal will not continue as Almería player, but club leaves open doors) Archived 2012-06-10 at the Wayback Machine.; UD Almería, 8 June 2012 (in Spanish)
- Los Ortiz: un lujo para el Almería (The Ortiz: luxury for Almería); Diario AS, 18 February 2009 (in Spanish)