Jose Maria Quijano Wallis
|Jose Maria Quijano Wallis|
|Colombian Secretary of Foreign Affairs|
|President||Froilán Largacha Hurtado|
|8th Colombian Secretary of Treasury and Public Credit|
April 1876 – November 1877
|Succeeded by||Salvador Camacho Roldán|
|Senator of United States of Colombia|
20 July 1872 – 19 January 1873
|President||Eustorgio Salgar Moreno|
|Preceded by||Januario Salgar|
|Succeeded by||Aquileo Parra Gómez|
|Member of the House of Representatives of United States of Colombia|
20 July 1870 – 19 July 1871
|Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary of Colombia to the United Kingdom|
July 20, 1847|
Popayán, Cauca, Colombia
|Died||March 24, 1922
Bogotá, Cundinamarca, Colombia
|Resting place||Templo de San Francisco
Popayán, Cauca, Colombia
|Spouse(s)||Felisa Manrique Barberi Holguín |
|Children||Guillermo Quijano Manrique
Cecilia Quijano Manrique
Rosa Quijano Manrique
|Alma mater||University of Cauca Complutense University of Madrid|
|Awards||Order of Saints Maurice and Lazarus.|
Jose Maria Quijano Wallis (July 20, 1847 – March 24, 1922)  was a Colombian lawyer, diplomatic, politician and historian. His parents were Manuel de Jesús Quijano y Ordóñez (born in Latacunga, Ecuador) and Rafaela Wallis y Caldas, daughter of an English physician, Wallis and Baltazara Jorge Caldas, younger sister of the wise and patriotic Francisco José de Caldas. He also served as Congressman in both houses, Governor of Cauca, and Secretary Foreign Affairs, of Finance and Development, and of Treasury and Public Credit.
Finished his studies Regidor went from Popayan, 1865 to 1867 to the Legislature of Cauca, and later was Secretary to the Government of that State in 1867, Principal of the College of Popayan and teacher of various kinds in 1869. Deputy to the House of Representatives in 1870 and 71, and Senator in 1872. Back from a trip to Europe was Secretary to the Governor of Cauca and in 1875 the Director of Public Instruction in the State. Again deputy in 1876, he had under his charge the credit portfolio of the Treasury and Office.
Later in 1878, he was appointed Chargé d'Affaires and Consul General in the Kingdom of Italy, close to His Majesty the King Umberto, where he remained until 1881. During the time of his stay in Europe travel and study made important and deserved the high honor of receiving the Cross of Commander of the Order of Saints Maurice and Lazarus.
He was elected President of the Colombian Academy of Jurisprudence in 1913.
The following is a work authored by Jose Maria Quijano Wallis:
- Memorias autobiográficas, histórico políticas y de carácter social [Autobiographical Memoirs, historical and social policies]. París: París; Grottaferrata, Tip. Italo-Oriente. 1919. OCLC 318332549.
Wallis Quijano's work: "Memoirs autobiographical, historical, political and social" in its 40 chapters, containing details and facts unknown at the time of the country's history, important characters, performances and anecdotes such as Julio payaneses Arboleda, José María Obando, Santiago Pérez, Manuel Murillo, Florian Largacha, etc. Relationship of different country's internal wars in the years he was an actor or viewer. He gives many details about his family, ancestors and government actions in the political, diplomatic and management. It is an excellent source of information for those interested in the history of Colombia
- Estudios, discursos y escritos varios [Studies, speeches and various writings]. París: Nabu Press, Tip. Italo-Oriente. 1908. OCLC 1246238489.
Studies, speeches and various writings (1908) by José María Quijano Wallis and Carlos Arturo Torres.
- Informes de las Comisiones de la Cámara de Representantes de Colombia sobre la solicitud del gran General Mosquera [Reports of Committees of the House of Representatives of Colombia on the request of the great General Mosquera]. Bogota: Imprenta de Echeverria Hermanos, Tip. Italo-oriente. 1870. OCLC 1246238489.
Reports of Committees of the House of Representatives of Colombia on the request of the great General Mosquera (1923) by José María Quijano Wallis, Jorge Isaacs and Manuel Urueta.
- Tres discursos en los festejos del Centenario (1910) [Three speeches in the centenary celebrations (1910)]. Bogota: Nabu Press, Tip. Italo-oriente. 1908. OCLC 1246238489.
Three speeches in the centenary celebrations (1910) by José María Quijano Wallis
- University of Cauca
- Complutense University of Madrid
- Salvador Camacho
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Colombia)
- United States of Colombia
- Liberal Party of Colombia
- Jose Maria Quijano Wallis. Gran Enciclopedia de Colombia del Círculo de Lectores (in Spanish). Luis Ángel Arango Library. Retrieved 2010-09-26.
- Cárdenas Madrid, Marlon Rafael (October 1997). "Designados presidenciales de Colombia 1844-1993" [Presidential Designates of Colombia 1844-1993]. Revista Credencial Historia (in Spanish). Luis Ángel Arango Library (94). Retrieved 2010-09-26.
- "Notes From South America". The New York Times. Panama City: 4. 1878-11-26. Retrieved 2010-09-26.
- Academia Colombiana de Historia. "Memorias de Hacienda". Boletín de Historia y Antigüedades (in Spanish). Imprenta Nacional (157-168): 304. ISSN 0006-6303. OCLC 1606508. Retrieved 2010-09-26.