Dirand was born in Paris; his father, Jacques Dirand, was a photographer specialising in interiors and his mother was a fashion designer. He studied architecture at the École Nationale Supérieure d'Architecture de Paris-Belleville. As of April 2014[update] he lived in his own restored flat in the 7th arrondissement with his partner and their two daughters from previous marriages.
Dirand works in Paris. After receiving the commission while still a student to do the interior design for Junko Shimada's Paris shop, he started his own interior design firm in 1999, when he was 25, and drew public attention with his redesign of a flat facing the Place de la Concorde. After his creation of the new shop for Balmain on rue François-Ier, which has been called "the most beautiful fashion store in Paris", he came to be in demand as an interior architect for fashion companies.
Bespoke furniture by Dirand was included in the inaugural AD Collections exhibition in 2015. Later that year he held his first exhibition of his furniture, which is manufactured by craftsmen at the Ateliers Saint-Jacques and which he describes as a homage to modernist architects who are "heroes" to him, such as Carlo Scarpa, Alvar Aalto, Pierre Jeanneret and Le Corbusier.
- Shop interiors for Balmain (Paris), Rick Owens (London), Balenciaga (Paris), Givenchy (Paris), Chloé (Paris and Shanghai), Pucci (New York), Alexander Wang (Beijing)
- Flat overlooking Place de la Concorde, Paris
- Restaurants Le Flandrin (Paris), Monsieur Bleu (Paris, in the Palais de Tokyo), Loulou (Paris)
- Hotels Hábitat (Monterrey), Distrito Capital de Mexico (Mexico City), L’Apogée (Courchevel, with India Mahdavi, Surf Club, Miami Beach, with Richard Meier
Dirand's style is minimalist, often monochromatic; in his early work he largely used black and white. He emphasises strong lines, classic elements, lighting, rich materials, particularly marble, and the telling detail that brings an interior to life; however, he says that he designs "spaces that are alive" rather than "locations of contemplation". His later designs characteristically use slabs of marble. In designing for retailers, he seeks to understand and reflect the "story" of the brand based on key images, typically 20 from an initial portfolio of hundreds.
- 2010: Wallpaper Design Award for the best hotel (Hábitat, Monterrey)
- 2013: Interior designer of the year, Maison & Objet
- 2014: Wallpaper Design Award for the best new restaurant (Monsieur Bleu, Paris)
- Matthew Donaldson, "In Residence: Joseph Dirand", Nowness, 15 March 2015.
- Tom Delavan, "The Reinvention of Minimalism", T Magazine, The New York Times, 10 April 2014.
- Suleman Anaya, "The Creative Class | Joseph Dirand, Architect", The Business of Fashion, 21 November 2013.
- Oscar Beltrán Gómez, "Joseph Dirand, redefiniendo el retail", Axxis, 4 May 2015 (in Spanish)
- Ian Phillips, "Designer Spotlight: Le Minimalist", Introspective, March 2014.
- Sophie De Santis, "Joseph Dirand, un esthète moderne dans le VIIe", Le Figaro, 22 October 2014 (in French)
- Sophie Rosemont, "Le week-end de Joseph Dirand", Vanity Fair (French edition), 17 February 2015 (interview) (in French)
- "La première édition de l'exposition AD Collections au Quai d'Orsay", Vanity Fair (French edition), 26 March 2015 (in French)
- Delphine Roche, "Joseph Dirand, architecte et designer, présente sa première collection de mobilier en nom propre", Numéro, 24 July 2015 (in French)
- Delphine Roche, "Joseph Dirand fusionne avec brio architecture et design pour sa très réussie première collection", Numéro, 8 December 2015 (in French)
- Jen Renzi, "Joseph Dirand, un modernista moderno", Wall Street Journal (Spanish edition), 18 December 2015 (in Spanish)
- Cédric Saint André Perrin, "Vue sur le ciel de Paris", AD (French edition), 11 July 2013 (in French)
- Sophie De Santis, "Maison & Objet a 20 ans: les 4 designers à retenir", Le Figaro, 12 January 2015 (in French)
- Félicia Rouret, "Courchevel au sommet... L´Apogée", Le Figaro Madame, 23 February 2014 (in French)
- Maurice Beaudoin, "Loulou, un nouveau restaurant dans les jardins du Louvre", Le Figaro, 13 June 2016 (in French)
- "Talents pluriels", Le Figaro Madame, 25 January 2013 (in French)
- "Joseph Dirand: scènes d'intérieur 2013 year designer", Maison & Objet Paris, , retrieved 16 September 2016