Following graduation at the University of Vienna in 1849, he became an assistant to Johann Baptist Chiari (1817-1854). Afterwards he worked at the maternity clinic for midwives until 1853. In 1861 he was appointed professor of obstetrics in Vienna, and in 1873 became director of the second obstetrical-gynecological clinic. In 1872/73 he served as university rector.
Ignaz Semmelweis (1818-1865) regarded him as a principal opponent. By 1864, however, he had adopted Semmelweis's view, and observed that virtually all obstetricians were convinced that Semmelweis was correct, although few admitted it openly.
- Klinik der Geburtshülfe und Gynäkologie, 1855 (Clinic of obstetrics and gynecology) with Johann Baptist Chiari and Karl Braun (1822–1891).
- Studien über Zwillinge, 1860 (Study of twins).
- Ueber mehrere Anomalien der die Frucht umgebenden Eitheile, 1861 with Carl Wedl (1815-1891)
- Sanitäts- Verhältnisse der Wöchnerinnen 1863 an der Geburtsklinik für Hebammen (Sanitary conditions of mothers in 1863 at the maternity hospital for midwives).
- Lehrbuch der Geburteshülfe für Hebammen; 1869, third edition 1880 (Textbook of obstetrics for midwives).
- Frank P. Murphy, "Ignaz Philipp Semmelweis (1818-65): An Annotated Bibliography," Bulletin of the History of Medicine 20(1946), 653-707: 669f. Quoted in Semmelweis, Ignaz (1861). Etiology, Concept and Prophylaxis of Childbed Fever. Translated by K. Codell Carter. University of Wisconsin Press, September 15, 1983. ISBN 0-299-09364-6. p135 footnote 16
- Pagel: Biographisches Lexikon (translated biography)
|This biographical article about an Austrian academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|