|Birth name||Joshua Michael Garrels|
|Born||September 25, 1980|
|Origin||South Bend, Indiana, U.S.|
|Labels||Small Voice, Mason Jar|
|Associated acts||Enter the Worship Circle, Joshua Rosen|
Joshua Michael Garrels (born September 25, 1980) is an American singer-songwriter.
Josh Garrels is a singer-songwriter, hip-hop, pop producer, and orchestral folk composer from South Bend, Indiana. His music combines traditional folk music with other musical elements and the nontraditional exploration of Christian themes. He currently lives in Portland, Oregon with his wife and four children. Since 2005 he has co-founded the record label, Small Voice Records and released the albums: Over Oceans, Jacaranda, and Lost Animals and Home. Garrels released his sixth album in June 2011 titled Love & War & The Sea In Between. Christianity Today called the album "prophetic, incisive, achingly human, and longingly spiritual," and rated it as their 2011 Album of The Year. In 2012, Garrels collaborated with the music collective Mason Jar Music to film the music-documentary movie The Sea In Between in which Mason Jar and Josh traveled to the remote Mayne Island, BC to perform music on several of Mayne's most beautiful locations. The film was reviewed by Billboard magazine and has received a 4.5 Star review on Amazon.com. "Don't Wait For Me" was featured on American Idol on January 29, 2014. He released Home on April 7, 2015.
From March 14, 2013 to March 28, 2013 (14 days) Garrels had 161,245 albums downloads on Noisetrade.com which raised $71,566 in "tips". All of the funds were given in full to World Relief to help with their work to bring peace and restoration to the DR Congo.
Continued work with Noisetrade
In the weeks leading up to the 2015 release of the album Home, Garrels gave away free copies of his previous albums on Noisetrade.com. When Home was released, listeners had a choice between buying it on iTunes or downloading it for free from Noisetrade.com, from where Garrels gave away 42,000 copies of Home its first week. The giving away of the album did not seem to hurt the success of the album; in fact some have suggested that the marketing strategy led to even greater success.
- Stone Tree (2002)
- Underquiet (2003)
- Over Oceans (2006)
- Jacaranda (2008)
- Lost Animals (2009)
- Love & War & The Sea In Between (2011)
- Love & War: B-Sides & Remixes (2012)
- The Sea In Between DVD Soundtrack (2013)
- Home (2015) (Billboard 200) No. 83
- 2015 Sampler (2015)
- The Light Came Down (2016) – Christmas album
- NPR (December 26, 2013) 
- InterVarsity Christian Fellowship (October 17, 2013) 
- Relevant (magazine) (April 8, 2013) 
- The Huffington Post (March 26, 2013) 
- "Josh Garrels Biography". Retrieved April 9, 2011.
- Josh Garrels-- Love & War & The Sea In-Between (Small Voice Records). Christianity Today. accessed October 25, 2011.
- Christianity Today 2011 Album of The Year "Christianity Today". accessed December 21, 2011.
- The Sea In Between Official Website accessed January 29, 2013.
- Billboard Magazine accessed March 31, 2013.
- Amazon accessed March 10, 2014.
- Twitter accessed January 29, 2013.
- Josh Garrels' Official Website accessed March 31, 2013.
- Josh Garrels' Official Website accessed April 15, 2015.
- "Josh Garrels Hits Billboard Chart Despite Giving Album Away Free Via NoiseTrade". hypebot.com. Retrieved May 7, 2015.
- NPR accessed December 26, 2013.
- InterVarsity accessed October 17, 2013.
- Relevant Magazine accessed April 8, 2013.
- Huffington Post accessed March 26, 2013.