Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine
|Edited by||John Weeks|
|ISO 4||J. Altern. Complement. Med.|
The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine is a monthly peer-reviewed medical journal covering alternative medicine published by Mary Ann Liebert. It was established in 1995 and is the official journal of the Society for Acupuncture Research. The editor-in-chief is John Weeks, who succeeded the founding editor, Kim A. Jobst.
Abstracting and indexing
The journal is abstracted and indexed in:
In 2005 the BBC used a report published by the journal as the basis of a story claiming that homeopathy was effective for some patients. The article contradicted the findings of a study that had recently appeared in The Lancet, reporting that homeopathy was ineffective. The methodology of the article in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine was criticized by pharmacologist David Colquhoun on his blog, saying that its questionnaire-based approach was "not really research at all" and that the published conclusion drawn from it was "quite ludicrous". In his view, "papers like this do not add to human knowledge, they detract from it". Quackwatch has included the journal on its list of "nonrecommended periodicals", characterizing it as "fundamentally flawed".
The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine is included in the Brandon/Hill listing of books and journals recommended for a small medical library. The Osher Collaborative for Integrative Medicine, which includes Harvard University, Karolinska Institutet, Northwestern University, Vanderbilt University, University of California at San Francisco, University of Miami, and the University of Washington, has a partnership with the journal to publish regular invited commentaries as of February 2017.
- "Serials cited". CAB Abstracts. CABI. Retrieved 2016-11-12.
- "CINAHL Complete Database Coverage List". CINAHL. EBSCO Information Services. Retrieved 2016-11-12.
- "Master Journal List". Intellectual Property & Science. Thomson Reuters. Retrieved 2016-11-12.
- "Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine". NLM Catalog. National Center for Biotechnology Information. Retrieved 2016-11-12.
- "Embase Coverage". Embase. Elsevier. Retrieved 2016-11-12.
- "PsychINFO Journal Coverage". American Psychological Association. Retrieved 2016-11-12.
- "Content overview". Scopus. Elsevier. Retrieved 2016-11-12.
- "Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine". 2015 Journal Citation Reports. Web of Science (Science ed.). Thomson Reuters. 2016.
- "New study is boost to homoeopathy". BBC News. 2005-11-21. Retrieved 2016-11-12.
- Colquhoun D. "Homeopathy on the NHS in Bristol: Dr Spence's paper". Retrieved 2016-11-12.
- "Nonrecommended Journals". Quackwatch. Retrieved 2016-11-12.
- Hill DR, Stickell HN (April 2001). "Brandon/Hill selected list of print books and journals for the small medical library". Bulletin of the Medical Library Association. 89 (2): 131–53. PMC 31721. PMID 11337945.
- Mary Ann Liebert Inc; Genetic Engineering News. "Osher Collaborative for Integrative Medicine begins new JACM column partnership". EurekAlert!. Retrieved 2018-09-29.