Juan Bigas Moulins
|Juan Bigas Moulins|
|Born||15 June 1863
|Died||19 June 1934
Ponce, Puerto Rico
Juan Bigas Moulins was born on 15 June 1863 in Barcelona, Spain, and immigrated to Puerto Rico when he was eight years old. His parents were Francisco Bigas and Margarita Moulins. His father established a bakery in Peñuelas, and by age 12 Bigas Moulins was helping in his father's business.
Upon the death of his father, Bigas Moulins moved the Peñuelas bakery to the corner of Plaza Degetau and Corcordia streets in Ponce, converting it into a flour and dry goods business called "La Catalina". The company operated in the 1920s. It was later moved to calle Estrella in Ponce and named "Las Mercedes", operating as a bakery and soda crakers factory business.
Bigas Moulins married in Puerto Rico in 1887.
In the 1970s, a building was erected on the block formed between Cantera, Estrella, Salud, and Guadalupe streets in Ponce to replace the original Plaza del Mercado de Ponce Isabel II marketplace building. This original structure was located on the block bounded by Atocha, Castillo, Victoria, and Leon streets. The new building was named the Plaza de Mercado de Ponce Juan Bigas Moulins (Juan Bigas Moulins Ponce Marketplace), in honor of Bigas Moulins. It functioned as Ponce's Plaza de Mercado marketplace for some twenty years while the original Plaza de Mercado Isabel II underwent renovations. In addition to having a building -- today called Ponce Servicios -- named after him, Bigas Moulins is also honored at Ponce's Park of Illustrious Ponce Citizens.
- Luis Fortuño Janeiro. Album Historico de Ponce (1692–1963). Page 282. Ponce, Puerto Rico. Imprenta Fortuño. 1963.
- Family Search.
- Commerce and Business. Travel-Ponce. Retrieved 20 December 2011.
- Luis Fortuño Janeiro. Album Histórico de Ponce (1692–1963). Page 282. (Ponce, Puerto Rico: Imprenta Fortuño. 1963.)
- 14855. Adulteration of Flour. U.S. v. 105 bags of flour. W.M. Jardine. U.S. Secretary of Agriculture. U.S. National Library of Medicine. National Institute of Health. Service and Regulatory Announcements. Page 457. In, "Case Number: 14855; Title: 14855. Adulteration of flour. U. S. v. 105 Bags of Flour. Product ordered released under bond to be reconditioned." Retrieved 20 December 2011.
- 624 F.2d 366 (207 U.S.P.Q. 465): KEEBLER COMPANY v. ROVIRA BISCUIT CORPORATION. Nos. 79-1483, 79-1484. United States Court of Appeals, First Circuit. Argued March 10, 1980. Decided June 19, 1980. Retrieved 20 December 2011.
- Family Search. Retrieved 20 December 2011.
- Augura Misla Villalba: Servira como eje de transformacion. Jason Rodriguez Grafal. La Perla del Sur. Ponce, Puerto Rico. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- Commerce and Business. TravelPonce. Retrieved 21 March 2012.
- This name uses Spanish naming customs: the first or paternal family name is Bigas and the second or maternal family name is Moulins.