|Origin||Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada|
|Years active||1989 – present|
|Labels||The Leaf Label, Tin Angel, Important Records|
She creates music using looped cello, found sounds, and electronics. In 2007, she released "Delay," her first solo album, on Important Records. An EP, Last Day in July, was released for commercial distribution in 2010, and a second full-length record, Green and Grey, in 2011, on Tin Angel.
In 2013 Kent moved to The Leaf Label, releasing her third solo album, Character, in March. Her album Asperities was released on Leaf on 30 October 2015. Kent spoke about the album in an interview, saying "I was thinking about the concept of difficulty. Whether in life or in nature - of conflict, of being troubled. The idea of friction. Also in geology, an asperity is some part of a faultline that doesn’t move which can create an earthquake, which is quite an evocative concept…In the music there is an inherent sense of dissonance; that things are too close for comfort. More generally, it seems like a particularly dark time in the world right now, and I think that definitely had an influence too".
She composed music for the Canadian documentary film The Boxing Girls of Kabul, the short film Birthplace, "A Short History of Decay," and "Oasis," which won Best Short Film at the Seville European Film Festival 2015.
She has also composed and performed music for theatre and dance, including productions by the Italian company Balletto Civile.
As a solo artist, she has appeared at Primavera Sound in Barcelona, the Meltdown Festival in London, the Reeperbahn Festival in Hamburg, the CTM festival in Berlin. and the Unsound festival in New York City.
- 2007 - Delay - (Important Records)
- 2010 - Last Day in July - (Lento)
- 2011 - Green and Grey - (Tin Angel)
- 2013 - Character - (The Leaf Label)
- 2015 - Asperities - (The Leaf Label)
- 2012 - The Boxing Girls of Kabul - composer
- 2013 - A Short History of Decay - composer
- 2013 - Birthplace - composer
- 2014 - Oasis - composer
With Antony and the Johnsons
- 2005 - I Am a Bird Now - cello, string arrangement
- 2009 - "The Crying Light" - cello, string arrangement
- "Gifted Julia Kent's 'pure' music inspiring". Vancouver Sun. 27 October 2007. Retrieved 22 January 2012.
- Peters, Guy (8 September 2010). "Julia Kent: Last Day in July –". Goddeau.com – magazine over muziek en andere. Retrieved 22 January 2012.
- Hudson, Alex (7 January 2013). "Antony and Johnsons Julia Kent Goes Solo for Character". Exclaim.ca. Retrieved 29 January 2012.
- "Music - Review of Julia Kent - Character". BBC. 2013-03-04. Retrieved 2015-04-29.
- "Asperities, The Leaf Label". The Leaf Label. Retrieved 3 September 2015.
- "New Album". Julia Kent. Retrieved 3 September 2015.
- "Trinidad (2008) - Soundtracks". IMDb. Retrieved 16 March 2013.
- "The Good Show, Radiolab". National Public Radio. Retrieved 8 August 2014.
- "Soundtracks for This Must Be the Place (2011)". IMDb. Retrieved 7 April 2013.
- "The Boxing Girls of Kabul". Hot Docs. Retrieved 17 January 2013.
- "Birthplace". IMDB. Retrieved 29 January 2013.
- "SEFF'15 - PALMARÉS XI FESTIVAL DE CINE EUROPEO DE SEVILLA". Festivalcinesevilla.eu. Retrieved 2015-04-29.
- "Balletto Civile - How long is now #Bolzano - Bolzano Danza 2014". Bolzanodanza.it. 2013-07-23. Retrieved 2015-04-29.
- "File:Julia Kent at Primavera Sound 2011 (a).jpg - Wikimedia Commons". Commons.wikimedia.org. Retrieved 2015-04-29.
- "News | Antony's Meltdown: Final Additions". The Quietus. 2012-07-13. Retrieved 2015-04-29.
- [dead link]
- "Julia Kent :: CTM Berlin - Festival for Adventurous Music and Art". Ctm-festival.de. Retrieved 2015-04-29.
- "Beats Per Minute". Beats Per Minute. Retrieved 2015-04-29.