Rice worked as a talent manager in Los Angeles for twenty years, then moved back to New York in 2002. Rice founded SoulCycle in 2006 with Elizabeth Cutler and Ruth Zukerman. SoulCycle's first studio was on the Upper West Side. The three were self-funded, a large amount of the money coming from Cutler’s investment in Izze Beverage Company.
- Li, Shan (August 9, 2015). "SoulCycle founders are peddling fun in the gym". Los Angeles Times.
- Romeyn, Kathryn (July 3, 2017). "How an Ex-Talent Manager Co-Founded SoulCycle and Sold for $90M". Hollywood Reporter.
- Saint Louis, Catherine (2010-10-10). "In New York, a Rivalry Shifts Into High Gear". New York Times.
- Hong, Nicole (2013-09-18). "How I Built It: Cycling Chain SoulCycle Spins Into Fast Lane". Wall Street Journal.
- L'Heureux, Catie (November 20, 2017). "SoulCycle Founder Julie Rice Is the New Chief Brand Officer of WeWork". The Cut.