December 12, 1982|
Huntington, New York, U.S.
|Height||6 ft 2 in (188 cm)|
|Weight||195 lb (88 kg; 13 st 13 lb)|
|Played for||Bridgeport Sound Tigers|
Justin Bourne (born December 12, 1982) is an American sportswriter. Formerly a professional ice hockey player, he has additionally coached professionally, most recently as an assistant coach for the Toronto Marlies of the American Hockey League.
Bourne played collegiate hockey for University of Alaska Anchorage before ending the 2006-07 season with the ECHL's Alaska Aces. He was signed the following year by the Utah Grizzlies, going on to score 10 goals and 10 assists in a 17-game stretch, and playing in the 2008 ECHL All-Star game.
Bourne's writing career began after a serious jaw injury forced him into retirement. In his first year as a columnist for USA Today, his piece on stopping the use of gay slurs in sports encouraged Brendan Burke to tell his story. Alongside USA Today, his articles have been featured across brands including Greg Wyshynski's Puck Daddy, The Hockey News, Hockey Primetime, as well as various other newspapers and websites.
On November 25, 2015, Bourne left his position at The Score to become an assistant coach for the Toronto Marlies of the American Hockey League, working with the team's video coaching for two seasons.
|2003–04||University of Alaska Anchorage||WCHA||40||4||13||17||6||—||—||—||—||—|
|2004–05||University of Alaska Anchorage||WCHA||37||12||11||23||10||—||—||—||—||—|
|2005–06||University of Alaska Anchorage||WCHA||35||5||8||13||14||—||—||—||—||—|
|2006–07||University of Alaska Anchorage||WCHA||37||10||21||31||14||—||—||—||—||—|
|2007–08||Bridgeport Sound Tigers||AHL||16||2||3||5||2||—||—||—||—||—|
Awards and honors
- "Justin Bourne Stats and News". NHL.com. Retrieved 24 August 2018.
- "Keith Johnson, Justin Bourne Named All-Stars". Utah Grizzlies. 2008-01-14. Archived from the original on 2010-12-31.
- Bourne, Justin (2009-02-15). "Justin Bourne's Blog: A love-hate relationship with hockey". The Hockey News. Archived from the original on 2016-05-01. Retrieved 2010-10-30.
- Wyshynski, Greg (2008-11-25). "Does Brian Burke's gay son change anything for hockey culture?". Puck Daddy Blog. Yahoo! Sports.
- "Justin Bourne to join Sportsnet's multi-platform hockey coverage". sportsnet.ca. November 7, 2019. Retrieved September 13, 2020.
- Silverman, Cat (2015-11-25). "JUSTIN BOURNE JOINS MARLIES COACHING STAFF". theleafsnation.com. The Nation Network.
- Brooks, Larry (October 24, 2015). "How Islander icon's passion continues to help community". nypost.com. Retrieved January 17, 2020.
Gillies’ daughter, Brianna, is married to Bob Bourne’s son