Kami (2008 film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Effendee Mazlan
Fariza Azlina Isahak
|Produced by||Lina Tan|
|Written by||Fariza Azlina Isahak|
Syarul Ezani Mohamed Ezzuddeen
Nas Muammar Zar
Ani Zayanah Ibrahim
Juliana Sophie Evans
|Distributed by||Grand Brilliance|
|Budget||RM 1.4 million|
|Box office||RM 1,245,000|
Kami is a 2008 Malaysian drama film directed by Effendee Mazlan and Fariza Azlina Isahak. It was first released on 1 October 2008. The story revolves around the ups and downs of the life of five teenagers and how they cope with their surroundings.
Based loosely from the TV series of the same name, the film tells about a group of teenagers and their miseries in life and how they cope with the dramatic experiences they are facing as they undergo their everyday life.
- Liyana Jasmay as Lynn
- Syarul Ezani Mohamed Ezzuddeen as Ali
- Juliana Evans as Sofie
- Nas Muammar Zar as Abu
- Ani Zayanah Ibrahim as Adii
- Zahiril Adzim as Boy
- Rozie Rashid as Lynn's mother
- Mustapha Kamal as Ali's father
- Norish Karman as Ali's mother
- Susan Manen as Sofie's mother
- Fathil Dani as Abu's father
- Dian P. Ramlee as Abu's mother
According to Lee Mee Fung, the Executive Director of Red Films Sdn Bhd, the film which is targeted at teenagers is about "a commercial film which revolves around teenagers' conflicts and their reactions in determining their future."
The catch phrase of this film is "Hidup ini memang palat, tapi esok masih ada." The word "palat" has been featured in the promotion materials that are included in KAMI: Vol II soundtrack, as well as in the official website. However, the word has been eliminated from the further promotion materials as well as from the dialogues in the film since it was considered as a vulgar word.
This film marks the first attempt of Effendee Mazlan as the director of a commercial film, as well as Fariza Azlina Isahak, who has written the script for the first time. Among the companies that were involved in the making of this film was Hotlink and Monkey Bone Records.
Kami was released to 43 cinemas across Malaysia on the first day of Hari Raya, and had a tight competition with Senario The Movie: Episode 1 which was released at the same day. Although it was predicted that it would not be able to compete with Senario The Movie, it went to raise RM1.4 million in the first two weeks of screening and it managed to avoid the possibility of massive loss.
Initial critical reception to Kami was generally positive reviews.
Izuan Shah from Gua.com said that "the premise of this film is very simple and interesting to grasp the attention of modern teenagers", giving the movie a rating of 8 out of 10. His compliment went to Nas Muammar who "commanded the character Abu convincingly with his natural talent" as well as Zahiril "who has the potential of a newcomer".
Nurulhisham Abdul Latiff from Berita Harian complimented all the casts for their successful performance, especially Liyana Jasmay, Nas Muammar and Zahiril. However, she further commented that "the recording style of this film is unsuitable for some audience" but "it was a fine job afterall.
- Meet Uncle Hussain - Pari-pari di Bawah Angin
- Laila's Lounge - Mawar Khayalan
- Harmacy - Riuh
- Dragon Red - K.A.M.I (Kerana Aku Masih Ingat)
- Couple - Hey Now!
- Meor - Hari Hari Autistik
- Twickheads - Guris
- Telebury - Stars Belong to Us
- Love Me Butch - This is Our Year
- Sharidir - Kamu
- Bittersweet - Going Into the Black Hole
- Koffin Kanser - Berong
- The Aggrobeats - We Got Soul
- They Will Kill Us All - Secret Episodes
- Butterfingers - 1000 Tahun
- "Kami The Movie sasarkan penonton remaja". Berita Harian. 23 September 2008. Retrieved 15 October 2008.
- Feride Hikmet Atak (15 October 2008). "Filem Kami tak gagal - 2 minggu di pawagam raih RM1.4 juta". Kosmo!. Retrieved 15 October 2008.
- "KAMI the Movie". gua.com.my. 1 September 2008. Retrieved 15 October 2008.
- "Mesti Tonton: Kami The Movie menyelami jiwa remaja". Berita Harian. 27 September 2008. Archived from the original on 27 September 2008. Retrieved 15 October 2008.