Karnataka Power Transmission Corporation
|ಕರ್ನಾಟಕ ವಿದ್ಯುತ್ ಪ್ರಸರಣ ನಿಗಮ ನಿಯಮಿತ|
|Predecessor||Karnataka Electricity Board|
|Founded||1 August 1999|
The Karnataka Power Transmission Corporation Limited, also known as KPTCL, is the sole electricity transmission and distribution company in state of Karnataka. Its origin was in Karnataka Electricity Board. This electricity transmission and distribution entity was corporatised to provide efficient and reliable electric power supply to the people of Karnataka state.
Zones and Circles
- Bangalore Electricity Supply Company (BESCOM)
- Mangalore Electricity Supply Company (MESCOM)
- Hubli Electricity Supply Company
- Gulbarga Electricity Supply Company
- Chamundeshwari Electricity Supply Corporation (CESC)
- The Zones and Circles are also known as ESCOMS
KPTCL buys power from power generating companies like Karnataka Power Corporation Limited (KPCL) and other IPPs (Independent Power Producers) like GMR, Jindal, Lanco(UPCL) etc., and sell them to their respective ESCOMS.
Company is governed under the purview of Ministry of Energy.Department is headed by a cabinet grade minister. Currently D. K Shivakumar is the minister under the chief ministership of Siddaramaiah.