|This article does not cite any sources. (February 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Kaïn is a folk rock group from the town of Drummondville, Quebec, Canada. The group of four is made up of Steve Veilleux (vocals, electric and acoustic guitar), Yanick Blanchette (drums and vocals), Patrick Lemieux (electric and acoustic guitar, banjo, harmonica and vocals) and Éric Maheu (bass guitar). Their style is a blend of rock and roll with Quebec folk music.
The group formed together in the late 90’s. They released their first album, Pop Culture, in 2004 from the recording company Les Disques Passeport, a small and eclectic company established in 1990 and stationed in Montreal, Quebec. Prior to this album, the group first signed a contract with Les Disques Passeport in 2003.
Each band member comes from a different background, with a different set of influences. Veilleux comes from a family of three children. His father was himself a musician, playing the accordion and the violin. He started playing guitar and writing music at a young age. Blanchette also came from a family of musicians. Kaïn was not his first band, but rather Subversion, which he founded in 1990 with two fellow lovers of metal music. Lemieux attended Cégep in Drummondville in order to study music as a young adult. Ironically his study focused on blues and rock rather than the folk style music for which Kaïn is known. Maheu started with a solo career, even doing commercials for Burger King. He was also previously a member of the group La Chicane, from 2001 to 2004.
- Steve: Ben Harper, Blue Rodeo, Johnny Cash, and Noir Désir.
- Patrick: Ben Harper.
- Éric: Progressive and hard rock.
- Yanick: Classical music and death metal.
- 2004: Pop Culture
- 2005: Nulle part ailleurs
- 2007: Les saisons s’tassent
- 2011: Le vrai monde No. 70 CAN
- 2006: On Dormira Demain
- 2003: Parle-moi d'toi
- 2004: Comme une étoile
- 2004: Autour de l'ombre
- 2005: Embarque ma belle
- 2006: Adam et Ève
- 2006: Comme dans le temps
- 2006: Mexico
- 2007: L'amour du jour
- 2008: On dormira demain
- 2008: La maison est grande
- 2008: Groupes de Pamplemousse - "Comme un cave"
Awards and accomplishments
- Best group at the 2006 ADISQ awards.
- Received two SOCAN awards in 2006 for the songs “Mexico” and “Comme dans le Temps” in the category of most played.
- The album Nulle Part Ailleurs spent over 100 weeks in the top twenty in the francophone top 100 chart.
|This article about a Canadian band or other musical ensemble is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|