Kate Raworth in 2018
|Institutions||University of Oxford |
University of Cambridge
|Influences||Tim Jackson, Elinor Ostrom|
Kate Raworth (born 1970) is an English economist working for the University of Oxford and the University of Cambridge. She is known for her work on the 'doughnut economics', which she understands as an economic model that balances between essential human needs and planetary boundaries.
Raworth achieved first class honours in Politics, Philosophy and Economics at Oxford University and followed it with an MSc in Development Economics. After 20 years working for the UN and Oxfam, she is currently a Senior Research Associate, Tutor and Advisory Board member of the Environmental Change Institute of University of Oxford. She is also a Senior Associate at the Cambridge Institute for Sustainability Leadership. 
In 2017, she published Doughnut Economics: Seven Ways to Think Like a 21st Century Economist, which is a counter-proposal to mainstream economic thinking that formulates conditions for a sustainable economy. In this book she advocates reconsidering the foundations of economic science. Instead of focusing on the growth of the economy, she focuses on a model where there can be ensured that everyone on earth has access to their basic needs, such as adequate food and education, while not limiting opportunities for future generations by protecting our ecosystem. The book was longlisted for the 2017 Financial Times and McKinsey Business Book of the Year Award.
- "What on Earth is the Doughnut?…". 28 April 2013.
- ECI Finding the sweet-spot for the planet and humans: Kate Raworth to present her ‘Big Idea’ of doughnut economics for the 21st Century at the ECI 2017-10-04
- "About". 28 April 2013.
- "Kate Raworth, Senior Associate — Cambridge Institute for Sustainability Leadership". www.cisl.cam.ac.uk.
- Toye, Richard. Doughnut Economics by Kate Raworth review – forget growth, think survival, The Guardian
- "Book Review: Doughnut Economics: Seven Ways to Think like a 21st-Century Economist by Kate Raworth". 17 June 2018.
- "Only doughnut economics can save us, says influential 'renegade economist' Kate Raworth". 6 March 2018.
- Kate Raworth (2017). Doughnut economics: seven ways to think like a 21st-century economist. New York, United States: Random House. ISBN 978-184794138-1.
- Kate Raworth (2019). "Chapter 25: A new economics". In Extinction Rebellion (ed.). This Is Not a Drill: An Extinction Rebellion Handbook. Penguin Books. pp. 146–154. ISBN 9780141991443.
- Media related to Kate Raworth at Wikimedia Commons
- TED 2018. Kate Raworth: A healthy economy should be designed to thrive not grow. (video)