Kate and Laura Mulleavy
Katherine "Kate" Mulleavy (born February 11, 1979) and Laura Mulleavy (born August 31, 1980) are American fashion designers and filmmakers who founded the fashion label Rodarte in 2005. In addition to their work in fashion, the sisters have also ventured into film, writing and directing their first feature, Woodshock (2017), as well as co-designing costumes in 2010 horror film Black Swan.
Sisters Katherine Marie Mulleavy was born in Alameda County, California, and Laura Mulleavy was born in Pasadena, California. They were raised in Northern California, growing up in Aptos, a town near Santa Cruz. Their mother, Victoria Rodart, is an artist of Mexican-Italian ancestry, and their father, William Perry Mulleavy, is a mycologist of Irish descent. Both sisters attended the University of California, Berkeley with Laura studying English literature and Kate studying art history.
In 2001, the sisters graduated from the University of California, Berkeley and returned to their family home in Pasadena, California, where they began to work on establishing their own clothing line, waitressing and selling personal items to accrue funds. The sisters founded the fashion line Rodarte, it was named after the original Spanish pronunciation of their mother's maiden name, Rodart. They began independently, crafting a capsule collection of seven dresses and two coats in 2004. Their work was featured in a February 2005 issue of Women's Wear Daily, which caught the attention of Vogue editor Anna Wintour, who traveled to Los Angeles to meet with the sisters in person. Wintour became a public supporter of the label, featuring their work in numerous issues of Vogue.
Film and other ventures
In 2010, the Mulleavy sisters had their first foray into film, collaborating with costume designer Amy Westcott on some of the costumes for the movie Black Swan. In May 2015, the sisters announced that they had written a film script entitled Woodshock which was purchased by distribution company A24; the film, released in September 2017, stars Kirsten Dunst.
- "Katherine Marie Mulleavy". California Birth Index. Retrieved November 28, 2017.
- Ashley, Autumn (ed.). The Good, Bad, Ugly. p. 15. Retrieved November 28, 2017.
- Perez, Eugenia (February 9, 2012). "The Rodarte Effect". Vanity Fair. Retrieved November 20, 2017.
- Kaufman, Amy (September 22, 2017). "Kate and Laura Mulleavy, the sisters behind Rodarte, move into film with 'Woodshock'". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved December 6, 2017.
- Fortini, Amanda (January 18, 2010). "Twisted Sisters". The New Yorker. Retrieved December 5, 2017.
- O'Dell, Amy (December 3, 2009). "The Full Rodarte for Target Look Book, With Prices". The Cut. Retrieved December 6, 2017.
- Milligan, Lauren (February 1, 2011). "Rodarte Row". Vogue UK. Retrieved November 30, 2017.
- McClintock, Pamela (May 11, 2015). "Cannes: Rodarte Sisters Kate and Laura Mulleavy Directing First Feature (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved May 26, 2015.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Kate and Laura Mulleavy|